CNET Editors' review
Rubicon has done it again with Great Big War Game, the sequel to the wildly successful Great Little War Game. In this newest installment of the turn-based strategy game, you are again the bird's-eye-view commander of a comical, yet brutal military.
If you aren't familiar with this particular style of game play, you get one turn to move your units and wage attacks before passing off to your opponent to do the same. The strategy comes in as you attempt to attack your enemy, while still maintaining a safe enough distance to avoid being attacked yourself. As you might imagine, this can be very difficult and requires a lot of strategic planning.
In GBWG, there are four different gaming modes: Campaign, Pass & Play (two players on same device), Skirmish (one-off missions), and the newly added Online Play (versus other players remotely). Campaign is the best place to start, as it gives you a quick primer on the different units and functions. Here you'll get a taste of everything from snipers to engineers to artillery units, as well as a variety of air and sea units. And of course, throughout the battle, you must protect your barracks, oil rigs, and other military buildings from your enemy.
Fans of the first installment will probably notice a few nice additions to Great Big War Game. There are new units, including a technician, who goes into the field to build fixed defense units, and a "tank killer." Also, the prices of some of the original units have changed, resulting in a much better flow of purchases. For instance, Snipers are cheaper, which means you can buy them more often (thank goodness), while Engineers are a bit more expensive to reflect their true value.
But the biggest difference you'll notice is the "fog of war" covering all of the area beyond your own base. In GBGW, you need to purchase scouts (or other soldiers) to do recon and give you a better view of your enemy's territory. This adds yet another problem to deal with in this already-challenging strategy game. Also in this sequel is a Blood and Gore mode, which, as you can imagine, makes things a bit more interesting.
While GBWG is certainly fun and addictive, I think it could still stand to add a few features. It would be nice to be able to select and move, even order, multiple units at once. Also, the ability to upgrade units would be another nice element to add to the game.
Overall, I think Great Big War Game is a significant improvement upon its predecessor. The gameplay is just as addictive as before, but now there are more units to play with, greater challenges to deal with, and a new variety of missions and maps to complete.
The generalissimo is back, causing more mayhem than ever!
A tap and swipe turn-based strategy game with a huge sense of humor, featuring funny cartoon military units set in a stunning fictional world.
"Great Big War Game" is the much anticipated sequel to the critically acclaimed "Great Little War Game". (See what we did there?)
With a greatly expanded single player campaign, brand new online multiplayer and a whole raft of other cool new stuff, there's plenty to please that 2.5 million strong player base.
New to the brand? Don't worry - there's a full in-game manual and good tutorials to ease you in. If you missed the original game, you can still play this one and find out where all those 5 star reviews came from.
NOTE: By purchasing this game, you agree to hold Rubicon harmless for any loss of sleep, drop in work productivity, poor school attendance, family break downs, melted cellphones or medical claims of "addict's finger".
What's new in this version:
-Resolved an issue where armies could switch sides.
-Fixed a crash bug regarding In App Purchases.
More Products to Consider
- Invade your neighbours, spread mayhem and destruction, drink a ...
- A delicious and addictive puzzle adventure with hundreds of lev...
- The sequel to the smash hit phenomenon that took the world by s...
- View IPL 6 live score and schedule.
- 4 Pics 1 Word - What's the word in common for 4 pictures?.
- One of the most addictive and entertaining physics based drivin...
- 4 Pictures 1 Word. Can you guess whats the word ?.
- Experience the drama, intensity and excitement of World Cup Cri...
- Jewel Smasher, very classic game, also known as "blocks burst",...
- Violence Drag Racing.
- Tired of typing logos name? Try this Logo Quiz Plus and select ...
- Ultimate Drag Racing.
- A race with your furry friends!.
- Preserve and promote Villain Hitting tradition.
- Fingerprint Lock Screen is a free Customizable Fingerprint Scan...
- Analyze six-number lottery games 6/49 data and use unique betti...
- RPG Defense game in which you collect Units to fight for you in...
- Collect right ingredients to mix up fruits, nuts and chocolate ...
- Think you have what it takes to adopt a POU? How will YOU custo...
- In the game of thrones, you win or you die.
- Play MLB Connect with friends & join 1000s of fans in a great s...
- Cartoon Wars is an arcade war game which combines the formulas ...
- Create your captain. Build your dream team. Establish a dynasty...
- Skater Racing Die Hard- Skateboard 3D Extreme Pro Games.