CNET Editors' review
Google Translate for Android is a simple, versatile tool that supports more than 60 languages, offers an SMS translator, and even speaks some of your translations aloud.
The best thing about Google Translate is its simplicity. The app is decked out with a sleek, ICS-flavored Holo theme, complete with Android 4.0's signature action bar and drop-down menu. Altogether, the new skin is a marked improvement over the slightly clunkier interface developed for Android Gingerbread.
To use Google Translate, just select your input and output languages, then type in your text. For even faster results, you can set the app to automatically detect your input language, and you can quickly interchange your input and output languages, by hitting the arrow icon between the fields. From there, the app returns a written translation and in some cases an audio translation. It even gives you a share button, in case you want to send your translation to a friend.
It's no secret that Google Translate performs a solid job translating, but what really makes it shine are the extra conveniences it offers. It automatically keeps a history of your translations, and lets you star any of them for easy access later, from the Favorites screen. Text-to-speech output is available for select languages, and can be a huge help when you're dealing with unfamiliar phonetics. Also helpful is the speech translation feature, which can sometimes translate spoken language through your device's microphone. However, with voice recognition technology still relatively young, this feature is nowhere near perfect. Finally, the SMS translation feature can pull in any of your text messages for a quick processing.
One thing the app is missing, is offline support. Sure, caching entire libraries of languages locally would probably be overkill, but it would be nice to be able to save one or a few basic libraries, perhaps on your SD card. Still, Google Translate is easy to use, and can translate over 60 languages, which makes it tough to beat.
Google Translate lets you instantly translate between over 50 languages. Use Google Translate to instantly translate text between more than 50 languages.
* Dictionary results
* Voice input
* Romanization (e.g. Pinyin, Romaji, etc)
* History/star favorite translations
More Products to Consider
- Download the latest release of Google Maps, and never carry a p...
- Explore the world from the palm of your hand with Google Earth.
- Track the location of your mobile and phone and local networtk ...
- Mumbai Train timetable,Bus routes,Auto & Taxi fare on your mobi...
- This application is an OBDII ECU diagnostics tool that uses a b...
- Premium turn-by-turn GPS navigation app.
- Create, share, and keep all your stuff in one place.
- With Street View on Google Maps, explore the world at street le...
- FREE on-board maps & directions.
- View user uploaded video content on your Android.
- Get to know your car with the premier OBDII diagnostic software...
- Unlock the doors to inspiring and unique accommodations around ...
- Track whereabouts of your family members without alerting them.
- Push emails, sync conversations, integrate contacts, search, an...
- Find Hotel rates and cheap flights details from your Android de...
- Display your GPS and sensor data on your Android device.
- Instantly supersize faces on your Android device.
- Calculate complex equations with this scientific calculator for...
- This application is for booking your train tickets in Indian Ra...
- Avoid mobile radiation in real-time with tawkon. tawkon monitor...
- This app goes blip-blip by pressing the virtual car lock key. I...
- Get the yellow car out of the traffic jam.
- A cool social driving and navigation app that connects you to o...
- Help you to find the best flight on your Android device.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content