CNET Editors' note: The Download Now link will prompt a local download of the Google Chrome extension. To install the extension directly, open the file using your Chrome browser.
CNET Editors' review
We hear a lot of about companies who track our Internet use and gather data about us as consumers, but who exactly are these companies, and what are they doing with this information? Ghostery (Chrome) can tell you exactly that. This Chrome extension will let you know who's monitoring your activity on every Web site you visit. It's a little creepy, but it's also a good thing to be aware of.
Like most Chrome extensions, Ghostery installs easily. We liked the fact that the extension immediately took us through a brief setup wizard, which allowed us to opt into and out of several features. Ghostery works by identifying Web bugs, which are tiny, usually invisible elements embedded in Web sites that collect information about user behavior. Users can enable GhostRank, which allows Ghostery to collect information about the Web bugs that you encounter. Ghostery also has an experimental blocking feature, which lets users block up to 275 different bugs. Ghostery's main feature, however, is its ability to display exactly which Web bugs are active on every site that you visit. Every time you navigate to a new site, Ghostery will display a small pop-up window at the top of your browser that lists the Web bugs it's found. On the New York Times Web site, for example, Ghostery identified Google AdSense, WebTrends, PointRoll, ChartBeat, Facebook Connect, and Comscorn Beacon. Users can click on More Info next to any one of these to access a description on Ghostery's Web site. Ghostery doesn't have a Help file per se, but it's easy to use, and its Web site has a useful FAQ. Overall, we think that Ghostery provides an important service. We should all be aware of who's keeping tabs on our Internet activity, and Ghostery is an easy way to stay informed.
Ghostery (Chrome) installs and uninstalls without issues. We highly recommend this extension to all users.
Ghostery is an add-on for Google Chrome. Find out who's tracking your Web browsing with Ghostery. Ghostery alerts you about web bugs, ad networks and widgets on every page on the Web.
Ghostery sees the "invisible" web, detecting trackers, web bugs, pixels, and beacons placed on web pages by Facebook, Google Analytics, and over 500 other ad networks, behavioral data providers, web publishers - all companies interested in your activity.
Ghostery allows you to block scripts, images, iframes and objects/embeds from companies that you don't trust.
Ghostery also includes the optional, opt-in feature called GhostRank, which sends Ghostery servers anonymous information about the trackers you encounter and where you encounter them. This helps us improve and support Ghostery.
PROTECT YOUR PRIVACY:
Ghostery is built and maintained for users that care about their online privacy, and is engineered with privacy as a primary goal. Ghostery use is anonymous. No registrations or sign-ups are required. The Ghostery plug-in does not place session cookies into your browser. Neither the Ghostery application nor Evidon receives any data from Ghostery users unless the user opts-in to participate in GhostRank. GhostRank data is anonymous, it is NEVER used for advertising targeting purposes, and is only shared in an aggregated, non-personal, statistical form.
What's new in this version: Version 4.1.2 fixes alert bubbles/library update notifications for Chrome 28 and up and updates bundled tracker and surrogate script libraries.
More Products to Consider
- Explore the Web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Detect trackers and control their ability to view your online b...
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Surf the Web comfortably, relying on speed, safety, and power o...
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Try the faster browser that lets you get the most from today's ...
- View Flash multimedia content through your browser.
- Take Google's Chrome browser with you on a USB stick.
- Take your bookmarks, surf internet, and experience the private ...
- Explore the Web in a safe and secure way.
- Navigate the Web with HTTPS browser that encrypts browsing sess...
- Scan for working online coupon codes during checkout while shop...
- Manage and organize your RSS feeds and TV Shows.
- Surf the Web with browser with automatic form filler, popup blo...
- Change the web page between a selected URL Domain.
- Unblock Web sites and browse securely in Google Chrome.
- Download video from Metacafe, Vimeo, Facebok, and other sites v...
- Filter adult content and browse the Web safely.
- Check out the latest pre-release of the upcoming Firefox.
- Web menu/navigation creator for web sites.
- Flash Player preview version with new video hardware accelerati...
- Browse internet using a Chrome-based browser with automation fe...
- Browse the Web without ads using Google Chrome.
- Find Web pages and blog with actual information.
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"slows down browser."
Version: Ghostery (for Chrome) 2.6.2
Does a good job at finding the tracking sites & blocks some of them.
Using Chrome ver: 17.0.963.46 m, current version.
On very intense web sites that do a lot of constant updates it slows down the browser.
Version: Ghostery (for Chrome) 2.2.2
detail who is watching on me
nothing cons so far
working perfectly in chromecan't surf without it
Updated on Apr 19, 2011
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content