CNET Editors' review
GIMP is a well-known photo manipulation tool that has been ported to the Mac operating system environment. Gimp for Mac is a free app that installs easily. Gimp for Mac is a relatively unique tool. It can be used as a paint program, or as a photo retouching tool, or as an image composition and manipulation program. It is hard to categorize Gimp for Mac except to say you'll probably want it if you do a lot of work with images.
The Gimp for Mac interface opens with a folder and file directory tree in the left pane, a set of thumbnail images in the middle pane, and a set of command icons and options across the top, right side, and bottom of the window. Once you select an image it is blown to full size and you can then use the comprehensive set of manipulation and touchup tools to alter the image and resave it. Learning the full power of Gimp for Mac will take months, but basic manipulation can be done in a few minutes once you figure out where the tools you need are.
Gimp for Mac works well. We've used it on other platforms for years, and having it on the Mac is just adding to the tool's utility. After years of development work, Gimp for Mac is a complete image manipulation tool and you'll find it as powerful and flexible as any other image tool on the market, but Gimp for Mac is free.GIMP for Mac - Create and edit images and photos - Download Video Previews:
GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a freely distributed piece of software suitable for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition, and image authoring. It is a powerful piece of software with capabilities not found in any other free software product. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert-quality photo-retouching program, an online batch-processing system, a mass production image renderer, or an image-format converter. GIMP is modular, expandable, and extensible. It is designed to be augmented with plug-ins and extensions to do just about anything. The advanced scripting interface allows everything from the simplest task to the most complex image-manipulation procedures to be easily scripted.
More Products to Consider
- View, edit, convert most image formats.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures locally or online.
- Image organizer: makes books, slideshows.
- Resize, rename, crop, rotate and watermark photos with drag & d...
- Create artwork, correct color, retouch scanned images.
- Create powerful images and discover new dimensions in digital i...
- Control photoshop from automator.
- Create flyers, newsletters, brochures.
- Create, edit, and enhance images.
- Graphics illustration suite.
- Snagit gives you all the tools needed to create engaging images...
- Convert your images to various formats.
- Capture your full screen, a region of your screen, or scrolling...
- Make your images look beautiful and realistic.
- Browse, view, tag and share images and galleries.
- Illustration, page layout, photo-editing apps, OS 9 fix.
- Vector graphics (SVG) drawing tool.
- Universal, highly tweakable DVD/video ripper and converter.
- View comic and manga images.
- Sync iPhoto libraries across computers (was iPhotoSync).
- Simple, straightforward disc burner, with advanced options for ...
- Sketchpad for sharing visual ideas.
- Create real USPS postage from any photo.
- Professional-grade raw converter and image editor.
All versions:3.2 stars
out of 80 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Non-intuitive and limited"
Version: GIMP 2.8.10
Will show you how much you need photoshop.
Horrible. You can't even move objects without infuriation. Picture editing is a joke, both difficult and poor.
"Get the RIGHT GIMP VERSION for your OSX version"
Version: GIMP 2.8.10
If you are familiar with Adobe PhotoShop, JASC Paint Shop, or Corel PhotoPaint, the tools are pretty intuitive. You can do all of the basic and many of the advanced operations from those programs in GIMP. This is far and away a more powerful program than Seashore. Great capabilities for the price (FREE).
Crappy install process = lazy, half-baked installation programming (grumble)... see note in summary.
When EPS and CMYK are handled better, GIMP will earn the 5th star from me. ;-)
CNET is linking to the latest version of GIMP, which doesn't work with older versions of OSX. (CNET can't do "everything" LOL)
Go to http://gimp.lisanet.de/Website/Download.html to be sure you get the right version of GIMP for whatever version of OSX you're running.
NOTE: Once you download the correct DMG and double-click it, it just gets unpacked wherever you saved it. So if you didn't save the DMG to the Applications folder, you'll need to open the folder from wherever you saved it and move the app to the Applications folder.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content