CNET Editors' note: The "Download Now" link directs you to the Android Market where you must continue the download process. This download may not be available in some countries.
CNET Editors' review
Who doesn't love fresh fruit? Unless it's too fresh, in which case you need to show it who's boss by turning it into sliced fruit with a samurai sword. That's the premise of Fruit Ninja, Halfbrick Studios' free Android slasher game. It's capable of slashing your free time as easily as it cuts flying fruit into juicy chunks. It's easy enough for anyone to play, too, at first. Like similar Android games, Fruit Ninja gets harder to play as you advance and unlock more levels and games. It's also educational (if you insist) since it's great for thumb-training, not to mention the occasional maintenance workout. After you dice a few bushels of fruit, no Android app will be able to withstand the speed and power of your digits.
We installed Fruit Ninja Free on a new smartphone running Android's Ice Cream Sandwich release. Fruit Ninja Free hung while setting up the (optional) link to the OpenFeint social platform, but it was just the screen; when we tapped back, the game had loaded. Fruit Ninja has good graphics, but if your device lacks power, you can enable a graphics fix option. If your device is fast, you can turn on ghosting trails. Three modes are offered: Classic, Zen, and Arcade. Classic mode starts simple, with single pieces of fruit, then two, three, and so on. Slashing multiple pieces with one swipe earns bonus points. Generally speaking, a bomb with a lit fuse is something to be avoided in the gaming universe, and that's true of Fruit Ninja: slice into one of the occasional bombs lobbed among the flying fruit, and Game Over. Arcade mode steps up the challenge, and the targets are more numerous. Zen mode is for those masters of concentration and reflex who are ready for a challenge, with whole bunches of fruit tossed into the air at once.
Playing Fruit Ninja Free can win you rewards, including more blades as well as real swag. We didn't hook up with OpenFeint, but we appreciate the option. For us, slashing fruit into fruit salad is its own reward, especially since we don't have to clean up.
From Halfbrick Studios:
Fruit Ninja is a juicy action game with squishy, splatty and satisfying fruit carnage! Become the ultimate bringer of sweet, tasty destruction with every slash.Swipe up across the screen to deliciously slash fruit like a true ninja warrior. With three games modes in single player and worldwide leaderboards using Openfeint, the addictive gameplay will keep you coming back for even higher scores.Fruit Ninja features three packed gameplay modes - Classic, Zen and the new Arcade, featuring powerups including Freeze, Frenzy and Double Score! The bonus Dojo section includes unlockable blades and backgrounds, and you can also unlock achievements and post scores to the online leaderboards with Openfeint.Fruit Ninja is the original and the best slasher on Android!Recent changes:With the release of Fruit Ninja Free comes a host of new and exciting changes. Apart from being free Fruit Ninja now provides language support for over 14 languages!We have also not only crammed in more languages, but managed to improve performance across a range of devices.Stay tuned for heaps of new content (and a few surprises) coming real soon!Content rating: Low Maturity
What's new in this version: With the release of Fruit Ninja Free comes a host of new and exciting changes. Apart from being free Fruit Ninja now provides language support for over 14 languages!We have also not only crammed in more languages, but managed to improve performance across a range of devices.Stay tuned for heaps of new content (and a few surprises) coming real soon!
More Products to Consider
- The sequel to the smash hit phenomenon that took the world by s...
- Play classic Nintendo platformer game on your Android device.
- View IPL 6 live score and schedule.
- Dr. Driving drives you crazy!.
- Slash and splatter fruit like a true ninja warrior.
- 4 Pics 1 Word - What's the word in common for 4 pictures?.
- One of the most addictive and entertaining physics based drivin...
- Think you have what it takes to adopt a POU? How will YOU custo...
- Trailblaze in this new standard for mobile racing game.
- Do you like driving big vehicles? Then you have to try Bus Simu...
- In a world of might and magic, are you strong enough to dominat...
- Logo Quiz is the #1 ranked Logo Guessing Game on Google Play.
- Play a classic multi-directional shooter video game.
- The best free game out there! Ant Smasher - smash all the ants ...
- Bubble Blast Saint Patrick's Day Edition !.
- Slice and dice fruit with a ninja sword.
- 4 Pictures 1 Word. Can you guess whats the word ?.
- Solve the mysterious Azada and break the magical spell!.
- Those rats were up to no good! Great FREE fun game!.
- Sharpen your swords and swing your rods - it's time to fish...t...
- Meet 8bit the little ninja and help him avoid the angry crowd's...
- Experience the drama, intensity and excitement of World Cup Cri...
- Exercise your brain today with Numbrix from PARADE.
- Play Tic Tac Toe with friends or against Android to become a Ti...