CNET Editors' review
Like similar tools, Freemake Music Box is supposed to search the Internet for free music, but unlike many of them, it actually works fairly well. It doesn't tell you where the tunes are coming from, though some obviously came from YouTube (skips, scratches, and spinning-record videos are dead giveaways) while others seem to be sourced from Internet radio. It finds plenty of duplicates, but it also found obscure tracks. Some results were mislabeled, though that might not be the program's fault. Tunes often took time to load and play in Freemake Music Box, and rapidly previewing results to find a particular version crashed the program at one point. But it finds and plays all kinds of files, including higher-quality formats like FLAC that sounded quite good through hi-fi headphones.
Freemake Music Box's user interface has touches of Apple's style in its white tones and rounded corners. In truth, we didn't expect it to find much, so we started with a fairly obscure (but hardly unknown) artist as a good test. Freemake didn't disappoint, though. The first song sounded better than expected, too. Encouraged, we tried something harder...or so we thought. Freemake easily found twice as many results. It was a search for some corny old tunes that turned up the YouTube recordings. We never did find a couple of songs, though, despite seemingly good search results. There's no Log or Help file, apparently. On the whole, though, Freemake Music Box did a pretty good job.
We've tried similar tools that couldn't find anything but links to more software, but Freemake Music Box worked better than expected. Granted, the bar is low, and music lovers have many other sources for free tunes, including some "radio" sites with vast libraries and high-quality playback. And we'd like to know a little more about where Freemake Music Box's tunes come from. But it's definitely worth a try if you've struck out with other tools to find a specific song or artist.
Freemake Music Box is a music app that gives you free access to songs online. Regardless of your location, you can search, play, and organize online music free. You can smoothly filter search results by track title, album, or artist. Once found, you may add your favorite songs to a playlist and Freemake Music Box will automatically save it for further playback. You may add your local playlists from dozens of music players: Winamp, AIMP, Windows Media Player, and VLC. Listen to your favorite music straight from the Music Box with the inbuilt music player. Play, pause, stop, loop, or forward audio tracks.
What's new in this version:
- Improved YouTube playback stability
- Minor bug fixes
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Listen to audio files with light and simple audio player from t...
- Searh and download 90,000,000+ MP3 songs.
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Search and download over P2P networks including eD2K and Kad.
LEGAL NOTICE: This link will take you to a third-party website. Downloading copyrighted materials without authorization or providing others with copyrighted materials for them to download without authorization may put you at risk for legal action under copyright law in the United States and other countries. CNET discourages the use of software for any unlawful purposeSponsored Products
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Converter audio to MP3, WMA, WAV, FLAC, AAC, M4A, OGG.
- Download YouTube videos as MP3 files.
- Listen to virtually any UK radio station on-line in one place.
- Convert all your FLAC files to the standard MP3 files.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Listen to your favorite music for free with the advanced online...
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Listen to millions of songs on YouTube in a convenient way, muc...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Rip online videos from Youtube, Facebook, Dailymotion and other...
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"The best desktop music player companion!!"
Version: Freemake Music Box 0.9.6.1
Hard Drive space saver
Easy to manage
Finds all artists I have thought of
Easy playlist creator,a snap!
It is absolutely free
Maybe too much bandwidth use.
Interface need to add more options, but they are just getting started.
A little more eye-candy on the interface, not crucial but it would be good.
I have been looking for something like this for a long time. Now I do not have to have the music saved on my hard drive, only save the playlists, to which I can add more and more music as I go, and then play it when I want.
I would like to have more options available on the player or maybe make the screen a see through or something like that.
Over all, Five stars, because they don't have more to give. I love to sit at my computer and play music on the Freemake Music Box and forget about worrying about my music. Great idea!
"a really helpful program"
Version: Freemake Music Box 0.9.6.1
good music search
didn't find any
the program is really good for all music lovers. easy to use, without registration or ads. you can listen to almost all known music tracks
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content