CNET Editors' review
If you watch a lot of television, it might be tough to archive all your favorite shows solely in your head. This portable, IMDb-esque download tells you all the essential info about TV shows within a snazzy interface, but it doesn't have much usefulness without a built-in media player.
The program mainly operates as a downloadable version of the Web site TheTVDB.com, a community-driven and open database of televisions shows. Along with episode, actor, and other info from TheTVBD.com, Free TvDB also uses several Web sites, primarily clips from YouTube, to bring users further content related to their favorite shows.
Free TvDB is is advertised as being focused on anime, but it's easy to find dramas, comedies, mini-series, or reality TV shows, too. Each show has its own page with menus for cast, photos, and episode guides. If you own the program, you can track the format (digital downloads, DVDs, Blu-ray, etc.) as well as other inventory data. The program can't play any of the files you already have on your computer, but it does include 1,026 TV show intros and counting, all powered by YouTube, natch. While it's cool the app links to classic TV intros like "Manimal," "Perfect Strangers," and "The Phoenix," it gets serious points off for opening YouTube links in Internet Explorer (instead of my default browser).
Free TvDB is a neat little encyclopedia for TV shows. It seems like a no-brainer if you are familiar with and use TheTVDB.com. Other users with a need for a basic DVD or digital TV inventory system should give it a try. People with more-advanced needs for playing the TV shows they already own should pass.
From My Portable Software:
Free TvDB is a TV series, anime, and cartoons database software. Manage your personal collection of TV series, anime, and cartoons with a simple and powerful software
What's new in this version: Version 4.93 has fixed script error while trying to watch YouTube video.
More Products to Consider
- Monitor your PC use and log keystrokes, clipboard, screenshot, ...
- Enhance your gameplay by editing Xbox 360 gamesaves.
- Print at home or at your office passport photo and ID photo.
- Convert and resize your image files.
- Determine a random order for a group of people or choose indivi...
- Organize information about your wine collection.
- Drive the mosquitoes away.
- Create and manage your databases.
- Watch weather just like the view from the window.
- Display detailed information of all running programs and proces...
- Meassure distances and angles on your desktop.
- Get a networked database manager.
- Manage your entire cycad collection.
- Categorize and keep track of your movie collection.
- Keep track of all your information about technology equipment.
- Create realistic, 3D walk-throughs of your design ideas.
- Create, manage, and organize your media files.
- Find out interesting information about your birth date.
- Back up and exchange data between your MS SQL Server databases.
- Design and print labels for your tapes, discs, and other disc m...
- Control your Paradox and dBase databases.
- Disable private browsing option in any Web browser.
- Catalog and play your music files.
- Organize and access your personal information and synchronize i...
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content