CNET Editors' review
Free Stocks Ticker places a scrolling stock price ticker at the bottom or top of your screen. It displays current stock prices and news feeds from Yahoo, CNN, FOX, and your own sources. You can configure the speed, opacity, and colors of the display, and it's one of the nicest programs of its type that we've tried.
Free Stocks Ticker displays stock prices in a semiopaque black bar. The text is also slightly transparent but still perfectly legible, giving a nice effect that doesn't hide pop-up messages in the notification area. Price changes are color-coded; for example, rising prices are shown in green, falling prices in orange. The ticker displays the name and symbol of the stock as well as its current price. Holding our cursor over a quote slowed the ticker to a crawl while a tooltip balloon popped up with detailed information and links to news stories that we could click to open in our browser--it's a very nice effect, and useful, too.
Right-clicking the ticker called up an extensive menu accessing our Feeds and also displayed options such as Faster and Slower and All or Random feeds. We clicked Setup, which produced a properties sheet that let us set the number of scrolling lines (up to six) and font size, change background and highlight colors, and set opacity. The RSS Feeds tab made it easy to add and delete feeds as well as turn off the tooltips, hide the preset feeds, and even rename feed titles.
We tried as many as six feeds at once, and it's less distracting than you'd think, though one or two is much better. A two-line feed with stocks and news is familiar to anyone who watches cable TV, and it fits right in on a computer screen. Free Stocks Ticker works especially well with widescreen monitors since they can hold a lot of information in eye range. Need a free stock ticker? Here it is.
From Sivan Segev:
Free Stocks Ticker is a highly customizable open sourced free scrolling stocks or news titles from RSS feeds. Default feeds include Fox-news, CNN and Yahoo news. Quotes are downloaded from Yahoo. The utility uses very little CPU power. Users can quickly change what is scrolled by selecting different feeds from the context menu. The utility allows multiple lines at the top or bottom of the screen. Easily change which stocks are being quoted and which RSS feeds area available.
What's new in this version: Version 1.8.3 has added option in setup dialog to show or hide names of stocks.
More Products to Consider
- Display your favorite RSS feeds and stock information in a scro...
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Watch stock information scroll across your screen.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Get breaking news in your IE toolbar.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Trade against the computer with this stock-market-simulation ga...
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Add standalone applications that provide a variety of features ...
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Implement a news ticker into your Web page.
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Display a configurable RSS ticker on your desktop.
- Scroll news itmes with this collection of horizontal and vertic...
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows desktop interface wi...
- Get pop-up blocking, and built in searching with most popular s...
- Add and remove features to your system.
- Receive and view the latest BBC sports news on your desktop.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Create and resell desktop tickers to promote Web site and keep ...
- Display stock quotes and read RSS news from multiple sources.
- Personalize your Windows 8/8.1 start and lock screens with your...
All versions:3.7 stars
out of 6 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content