CNET Editors' review
Practically everyone's got a digital camera or a cell phone cam, and hard drives everywhere are filling up with unsorted megabyte-size snapshots. Fortunately, there's no shortage of free photo tools, either. PixelApp Studio's Free Photo Converter is an example. It's a compact, easy-to-use application that you can use to resize photos and convert their formats, singly or in batches.
Free Photo Converter's colorful interface is very easy to understand and use; while there's no built-in Help file, just a link to the product's Web site, one is hardly needed. The right-hand control panel is divided into three boxes: Resize, with separate pixel settings for both height and width and an option to maintain aspect ratio; Output Format, with choices of JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF, and TIFF and a JPEG image quality option; and Preserve EXIF, which copies EXIF metadata from the original image when selected. We clicked the large Add Picture button, browsed to a folder, and selected four images, which appeared in the program's scrolling thumbnails display above the main view. We selected one image, chose a size, selected Maintain Aspect Ratio, chose a destination, entered a new name, and clicked Save. The new image appeared instantly and appeared to be a perfect copy of the original, only smaller, when we opened it in Photoshop. Next we tried a batch format change, which involved selecting a range of images and clicking Batch Output. Again, Free Photo Converter instantly converted the images and did a fine job of it, too. We'd like to see a lossless rotation feature but understand that you have to draw the line somewhere in a simple-is-better design.
There are lots of free photo converters out there, and they tend to take differing approaches to the job; some emphasize power and features, while other are designed to be as easy to use as possible. Free Photo Converter falls into the easy-to-use category. For most users, it's all they'll ever need.
From PixelApp Studio:
Free Photo Converter is a powerful and 100% free batch photo resize and photo format converter software that allow you resize and convert your digital photo in a few clicks! Feature: 1. Supports 5 different photo formats for convert: jpg, bmp, gif, png, tiff. 2. Powerful resize function: supports maintain aspect ratio. 3. Batch processing function.
What's new in this version: Version 1.1 Build 1228 is a bug fixing release.
More Products to Consider
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Manage, view, convert, and edit your images.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Convert various photo formats into JPG/JPEG file.
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Convert and resize your image files.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- Create artwork, correct color, retouch scanned images.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Blend pictures and create single composition of two images.
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Make your images look beautiful and realistic.
- Download, edit, manage, save, and share photos.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- Make your landscape photo unique.
- Share and edit your portraits using sophisticated processing te...
- Increase brightness, smooth skin, erase the spots for your port...
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Convert images into different formats in a batch mode.
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- Create the watermarks.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
All versions:2.0 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"There was a virus in my downloaded executable file!!"
Version: Free Photo Converter 1.1
no pros XX
All cons XX
My anti-virus application warned me and I had to remove it.
"Norton Antivirus does not like it."
Version: Free Photo Converter 1.1
Dunno, never used it. I got rid of it right away.
Suspicious.Cloud.2....download at your own risk.
Norton lit up after it installed. It might be a false positve but I did not want to chance it.
"A very well designed little program."
Version: Free Photo Converter 1.0
Once understood how it works, it runs very well and a pleasure to use.
I found it hard to find out the operating sequence without a help section.
Help questions answered in very short time. More directions of operating the program could be included. The bottom line is : the program does its job very well indeed.