CNET Editors' review
Making a beautiful slideshow personalized enough not to resemble any other might be harder than it seems. For people looking for some customization options while keeping things simple to use, FotoMagico for Mac might be the solution. However, it comes with a rather hefty price tag.
FotoMagico for Mac can import images from iPhoto, Aperture and Lightroom to integrate with the photographer's workflow. The documentation is rich enough to get you started in minutes. The strong point of this software is clearly its interface. It's well thought out and really intuitive, and everything behaves exactly as expected. Drag-and-drop is supported in most places and multitouch trackpad gestures work as they would on an official Apple app. It is indeed really hard not to draw a comparison between this software and the well-known iLife suite, particularly iPhoto and iMovie. The main advantage of this app over the Apple ones is the added customization and different approach in the "in-pictures" effect, namely between two transitions. Unlike Adobe Flash, you simply define the initial and the final stage for your pictures and the program will animate accordingly. There are enough transitions, but sadly there seem to be no filters or special effects available to apply to your pictures or short clips in the demo version. The demo version also comes with a watermark, which is not present in a purchased version.
With its great user interface and added flexibility for animating pictures, FotoMagico for Mac is most suited for users who are creating slideshows regularly and are looking for some more customization options than offered in Apple's iLife.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of FotoMagico for Mac 4.2.
From Boinx Software Ltd.:
Boinx FotoMagico lets you create professional slideshows from your photos and music with just a few, simple mouse clicks. It sports a very clean and intuitive yet powerful user interface. High image quality, fast performance, and user flexibility were some of the design goals for this application.
Create the most spectacular slideshows:
- Scale, move, rotate, zoom or pan around your images to highlight that part that matters the most.
- Your slides fit together perfectly with the new, gorgeous transitions.
- Provide more meaning with subtle titles here and there.
Perform a breathtaking show:
- Your slideshow uses the best possible resolution of your presentation device.
- Use large displays, HDTV screens and other high resolution devices.
- Even on a VGA projector, your photos will look better with FotoMagico.
Your audience will want to take it home:
- Burn DVDs of your slideshow with iDVD or Roxio Toast.
- Put your slideshow on your iPod.
- Create a stand-alone player that will present in full resolution on any Mac (without FotoMagico installed). (Pro-Version)
- Create Mac OS X screensavers playing full resolution slideshows. (Pro-Version)
- Add branding via watermark artwork. (Pro-Version)
- Export in almost any QuickTime format.
What's new in this version:
- Layers can now have a mask, which lets you create interesting special effects. Masks can be animated independently from the layer image, movie, or title.
- Layer opacity can now be changed, thus enabling many interesting transparency effects.
- Auto Save is now supported, thus freeing you from having to select the Save command repeatedly while authoring a slideshow. Auto Save may be disabled in the Preferences window.
- Saving is now much quicker than before. Average sa... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Create, alter, and manipulate photos.
- Create artwork, correct color, retouch scanned images.
- Create powerful images and discover new dimensions in digital i...
- Image organizer: makes books, slideshows.
- Resize, rename, crop, rotate and watermark photos with drag & d...
- Control photoshop from automator.
- Capture your full screen, a region of your screen, or scrolling...
- View, edit, convert most image formats.
- Create logos and other web graphics that look like a Photoshop ...
- Post production tool for photographers.
- Gaze upon the Norweigan outdoors from the comfort of your deskt...
- Graphics illustration suite.
- Create digital photo albums on your Mac with a 3D page-flipping...
- Snagit gives you all the tools needed to create engaging images...
- Stream your iTunes and iPhoto libraries to other Macs or the iP...
- Illustration, page layout, photo-editing apps, OS 9 fix.
- Create slide shows combining digital images and audio files.
- Create Flash-powered slide shows or photogalleries.
- View comic and manga images.
- Batch file renamer with droplets.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures locally or online.
- Get the most out of social networking and the Web in this brows...
- Listen to various podcasts and audio shows whenever you want on...
- Create, search, and share your digital assets.
All versions:3.7 stars
out of 31 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Not ready for prime time."
Version: FotoMagico 4.2
Impressive list of features
Software is glitchy, crash prone, fails to export files properly. Help forums are full of exasperated users who cannot get the program to function properly.
A disaster and time waster. The new features are impressive if the software worked properly. I'll have to stick with the older version. So much for the myth that Apple works closely with developers to make sure everything works properly. I could have stayed with a PC and had access to superior slide show producing software.