CNET Editors' review
Despite its name, FastStone Image Viewer is more than just a program for viewing images. It's also capable of performing a fairly significant number of editing functions, which come packaged in an innovative interface. It's no Photoshop replacement, but we think it's a good choice if you need a way to view images and perform basic editing and correction tasks.
At first glance, the program's interface is a bit cluttered; there are toolbars with lots of buttons across the top, and there are panes where you can navigate to particular directories, view thumbnails of the contents, and view larger previews of individual images. The cool part of FastStone Image Viewer appears when you enter full-screen mode; the image is displayed by itself, but moving your mouse to the edges of the screen brings up a variety of tools and options.
Mouse to the right and the image's metadata appears; to the left, a menu appears with tools for rotating, resizing, and adding text, as well as adjusting colors and adding special effects. Mousing to the top of the screen brings down a thumbnail preview of the current directory, making it easy to select a different image, while at the bottom of the screen there's a toolbar with some of the most basic editing options. We especially liked the program's slideshow feature, which makes it easy to create custom slideshows using your own music.
Although most users should be able to figure FastStone's features out without much assistance, there's a 95-page PDF Help file that offers plenty of guidance. Overall, we were impressed with the variety of features that FastStone Image Viewer combines in an easy-to-use package, and we recommend the program to anyone seeking a basic but well-stocked image editor.
FastStone Image Viewer installs a desktop icon without asking but uninstalls cleanly.FastStone Image Viewer - View, edit, and manage images - Download Video Previews:
From FastStone Soft:
FastStone Image Viewer is a fast, stable, user-friendly image browser, converter and editor. It has a nice array of features that include image viewing, management, comparison, red-eye removal, e-mailing, resizing, cropping and color adjustments. Its innovative but intuitive full-screen mode provides quick access to EXIF information, thumbnail browser and major functionalities via hidden toolbars that pop up when your mouse touch the four edges of the screen. Other features include a high quality magnifier and a musical slideshow with 150+ transitional effects, as well as lossless JPEG transitions, drop shadow effects, image annotation, scanner support, histogram... It supports all major graphic formats including BMP, JPEG, JPEG 2000, GIF, PNG, PCX, TIFF, WMF, ICO and TGA.
What's new in this version:
- Now the Batch Rename tool supports all kinds of files if you select "All Files (*.*)" in the file filter list
- Now you can press +/- keys to zoom in/out animated gif files
- Fixed a bug causing the program to lose track of the current folder when it exits from full screen mode
More Products to Consider
- View and edit most graphics formats simply and quickly.
- Edit, enhance, and manipulate your digital photos or graphics.
- Convert images into different formats in a batch mode.
- Create and edit photos using layers, effects, and other tools.
- View, edit, print, or add frames to your photos.
- Optimize your images and change their size.
- View, edit, and manipulate your images.
- Edit photos, add photo frame, photo effects, collages, and funn...
- Ddownload, edit, manage, save, and share photos.
- Create and alter photos and graphics manually or via scripting.
- Optimize your photos and turn them into paintings or funny cari...
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Capture anything on your PC screen and draw annotation objects.
- Process your digital photos and create slide shows for sharing.
- Browse and view your image and photo collection.
- Carry out all essential tasks of the photography workflow and d...
- Capture and edit your images with various tools.
- Share and edit your portraits using sophisticated processing te...
- View, modify, and manage your image files.
- Rip, edit, convert audio and video, and burn audio or video CDs...
- Create powerful images with a full-featured image editor.
- View digital images and manipulate EXIF info.
- Manage multimedia files and all possible image formats.
- Take a snapshot of anything on your computer screen.
All versions:4.6 stars
out of 1,648 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: FastStone Image Viewer 5.1
Fast - still one of if not the fastest image viewer available
good file and batch sorting
great for desktop wallpaper with numerous options
None really found
If you are looking for a fast, reliable image viewer, then this one will more than fit the bill