From Adam Cadre:
The first time I ever saw someone play a text adventure was in fifth grade. One of the sixth-graders didn't go to outdoor ed, and therefore spent the week in my fifth-grade classroom, playing Scott Adams's Impossible Mission on a TRS-80 while the rest of us did our schoolwork. At recess we crowded around him and shouted out commands to try. I really wanted a turn at the keyboard, but this guy wouldn't let anyone else near it. It would be another couple of years before I played a text adventure myself.
My big chance came when my father signed up for the Dow Jones online service, which offered not just stock listings but sports scores, movie reviews, Grolier's Encyclopedia, and a small selection of games, among which was Adventure. A bargain at a mere $144/hour! (In 1984 dollars!) Fortunately for my father's bank account, I eventually learned about Orange County's free BBSes, most of which were WWIV boards written in Pascal. Borland's Turbo Pascal let you swap in external modules called "door games," some of which were text adventures, and I've had the code to a few of these kicking around for (ulp!) a quarter of a century now. For a long time I've thought that it might be kind of fun to port one over to Inform, and I finally found the time to do so. Warning! These things were not exactly up to Infocom standards, let alone those of the modern day. This is a nostalgia project. Swords, trolls, magic spells, hit points. But no acoustic coupler necessary!
Game or story? This is a game in the olden style. Easy or difficult? Moderately difficult. (The testers did convince me to add some modern features like pronouns so less of the difficulty would come from the parser.) Good for newcomers? Nope. This one's for the old-timers.
More Products to Consider
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe with this skin pack.
- Try both single-player and multiplayer modes in this illicit st...
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Improve your PC and Internet speed performance.
- Modify your computer's settings to increase your gaming perform...
- Fight for humanity against an alien onslaught.
- Solve mathematical problems and check your mathematical skills.
- Fight battles between plants and zombies.
- Fly on a small spaceship and destroy hordes of enemies.
- Get past a level before the timer runs out and try to get as ma...
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Become the world's top wedding planner in this hilarious sequel...
- Play a classic game of 21 and see if you can get the highest sc...
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Enjoy underwater environments end feed frisky fishes.
- Match cards before the timer runs out and don't waste to many r...
- Fill in grids so that every row, column, and contains digits 1 ...
- Take a spin around three tracks with three car modes.
- Generate the recommended pool of lottery balls to play based on...
- Find differences between two pictures.