From Adam Cadre:
The first time I ever saw someone play a text adventure was in fifth grade. One of the sixth-graders didn't go to outdoor ed, and therefore spent the week in my fifth-grade classroom, playing Scott Adams's Impossible Mission on a TRS-80 while the rest of us did our schoolwork. At recess we crowded around him and shouted out commands to try. I really wanted a turn at the keyboard, but this guy wouldn't let anyone else near it. It would be another couple of years before I played a text adventure myself.
My big chance came when my father signed up for the Dow Jones online service, which offered not just stock listings but sports scores, movie reviews, Grolier's Encyclopedia, and a small selection of games, among which was Adventure. A bargain at a mere $144/hour! (In 1984 dollars!) Fortunately for my father's bank account, I eventually learned about Orange County's free BBSes, most of which were WWIV boards written in Pascal. Borland's Turbo Pascal let you swap in external modules called "door games," some of which were text adventures, and I've had the code to a few of these kicking around for (ulp!) a quarter of a century now. For a long time I've thought that it might be kind of fun to port one over to Inform, and I finally found the time to do so. Warning! These things were not exactly up to Infocom standards, let alone those of the modern day. This is a nostalgia project. Swords, trolls, magic spells, hit points. But no acoustic coupler necessary!
Game or story? This is a game in the olden style. Easy or difficult? Moderately difficult. (The testers did convince me to add some modern features like pronouns so less of the difficulty would come from the parser.) Good for newcomers? Nope. This one's for the old-timers.
More Products to Consider
- Add new cars and new scenery to Vice City.
- Give Tommy Vercetti a new wardrobe.
- Get behind the wheel and own the streets from dusk til dawn.
- Play the latest continuation of Super Mario 3: Mario Forever.
- Try both single-player and multiplayer modes in this illicit st...
- Build anything you can imagine with blocks.
- Update The Sims 3 to v1.6.6.002002.
- Drive your truck across America and build your own business emp...
- Challenge yourself with this Age of Empires sequel.
- Put characters in awkward poses, create your own wheeled vehicl...
- Play GTA:Vice City online or via LAN connection.
- Play 12 solitaire card games on your PC.
- Add new features to your Red Alert 2 game.
- Play Spider Four Suits and four other spider solitaire card gam...
- Fight battles between plants and zombies.
- Help Helen match 10 singles with the loves of their lives.
- Action game.
- Make your way out of an insane asylum in this game.
- Place different objects logically in the marked positions.
- Play 588 solitaire games with more than 80 card sets, 300 card ...
- Become the world's top wedding planner in this hilarious sequel...
- Direct the characters and events in this interactive drama.
- Save frogs and enjoy a big concert under the willow tree.
- Fight monsters, explore, complete quests, and rescue people in ...