CNET Editors' review
DownloadStudio is an attractively designed application with a number of thoughtful touches that both intermediate and advanced users will appreciate. Unfortunately, when it came to actually downloading files, we ran into some problems.
DownloadStudio impressed us most with its plentiful tips, Help information, and its plethora of customization options. Novices may still have trouble navigating all the terminology and options, but this isn't really a program designed for the new user.
The program opens by default to a Quick Start view that provides links to frequently used download actions and tools. In this view, actions such as Download File will start a simple wizard interface with plenty of descriptive information. An Expert mode provides additional fields and, like the wizard, offers a Help button that takes you to the relevant Topic. Browser integration allows you to grab files while surfing, and an optional "drop target" lets you drag files from the Web.
In addition to downloading files, you can explore sites directly to find downloads and subscribe to RSS feeds. For each feature, DownloadStudio offers many options. One great thing is the capability to specify settings, such as bandwidth limit, for each download, rather than for only all downloads as a whole. You can save a group of settings as a Download Template.
We were able to download individual files, including a 140MB .mov file and several smaller files, successfully. But when we tried to download two large (greater than 300MB) files simultaneously, we received the dreaded Not Responding parenthetical. In further trials, the application slowed or hung on multiple occasions, including during multiple-file downloads.
DownloadStudio looks and feels like a top-notch application, but, sadly, it didn't live up to our expectations. There's a short 15-day trial, though, for users to take this downloader for a test drive on their own to see if their results are better. As it is, we suggest power downloaders wait for the issues to be resolved before investing in DownloadStudio.
DownloadStudio is an ultra-fast download manager and download accelerator that gets everything on the web. It contains over 12 specialized downloading tools including: file downloader; flash video downloader; file range downloader; web site downloader; streaming media downloader; RSS feed, blog and podcast downloader; audio and video recorder; URL sniffer; site explorer; RSS feed reader; file browser and organizer; and easy-to-use Quick Start. DownloadStudio's easy-to-use tools let you download any type of content from the web - programs, games, flash video, photos, music, movies, flash, podcasts, RSS feeds, blogs, documents, complete Web sites.
DownloadStudio can download files from all popular file hosting sites such as RapidShare, FileSonic, Hotfile, YouSendIt, FileFront and more. Both free and premium accounts supported.
DownloadStudio can download flash video from all popular video sites such as YouTube, Google Video, MySpace, Dailymotion, Megavideo, Metacafe.
DownloadStudio works with the latest versions of all popular web browsers - Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Flock, Google Chrome, Safari, Mozilla and Netscape.
What's new in this version: Version 7.0.5 includes Firefox 6, 7 and 8 support. Spanish language support. New Off Peak Download window. Download templates for Facebook, Flickr, Picasa, TwitPic and Photobucket. SHA1 hash check support. Improved YouTube video downloading.
More Products to Consider
- Download and convert videos from video streaming sites.
- Increase your connection speed and recover broken downloads.
- Download YouTube videos and convert to multiple formats.
- Convert over 20M YouTube to MP3 music clips and ringtones.
- Download and convert videos, including YouTube to MP3, M4A, FLV...
- Manage and automate your RapidShare downloads.
- Enter the video URL information and click a button to download.
- Download and manage torrent files.
This download is served from an external siteclose
LEGAL NOTICE: This link will take you to a third-party website. Downloading copyrighted materials without authorization or providing others with copyrighted materials for them to download without authorization may put you at risk for legal action under copyright law in the United States and other countries. CNET discourages the use of software for any unlawful purpose
- Manage your downloads efficiently.
- Manage your file downloads on your Windows PC.
- Download free videos from YouTube, Google, Yahoo, Facebook.
- Download Youtube videos with ease.
- Convert multiple Youtube videos to various formats.
- Download video files from various video-streaming sites using M...
- Download video and audio files from YouTube and convert them to...
- Download YouTube videos and accelerate downloads.
- Search YouTube videos and download them with ease.
- Download and convert any YouTube video into your favorite forma...
- Download and convert video and radio.
- Increase your download speed using multiple downloading channel...
- Search and download YouTube videos.
- Download social music or video for your Windows PC.
- Extract music from YouTube movies as MP3 files.
- Download videos from youtube with your Firefox browser.
All versions:4.1 stars
out of 132 votes
Current version:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Very slick application but not always stable"
Version: DownloadStudio 7.0.5
Very slick application with many useful features that allows downloading a single file or a range of files or an entire website or just portions of a website. Haven't found any features that were missing.
On my 32-bit desktop the application tended to crash after downloading between 800 and 900 files. On my 64-bit laptop, application did much better.
Very good program, but still some stability issues.
Version: DownloadStudio 7.0.5
Does what it says.
I had no problems. Works as it's supposed to.
The best download program around.