CNET Editors' review
Disco XT is an audio playback application for Windows. It's not a media player, though it can play, mix, and manage your music collection. It's not a recording tool, though it can record and export high-quality audio; nor is it a DJ console, though with five decks, mixing, effects, sampling, and more, it's ready for both the dance floor and studio. Disco XT is a bit of each, but unlike tools that try to be too many things at once, it succeeds. Disco XT is free to try, though the Demo stops audio playback every 30 minutes and limits recording to 15 minutes with no Export and limited Save options. But despite these and other limitations in the Demo, we had no trouble trying Disco XT's features.
Whether you click "Buy" or Continue with Disco XT's free Demo, we recommend clicking the Setup wizard's "Guide" button to open the Web-based manual. Setup also offered to import songs and playlists from iTunes or Add Initial Audio Files, but we clicked "Skip" since we like to see what a music library tool does before we turn our tunes loose! Disco XT's Speaker, Headphone, and Microphone setup tools let us select default devices from a menu of our system's sound cards and audio channels. The program's layout proved surprisingly attractive and manageable for this type of software; or so it did after we'd dismissed the first of a regularly appearing series of nag screens. The top tier of the default tab, Samples, features both player controls and five mixing decks, each with individual playlists and controls, including a small but useful turntable control for scratching and sampling. But that's just the program's front door: Feature-packed consoles abound in Disco XT. Clicking P List, for example, opened a sophisticated player, while Mixer features dual pro-style consoles with sliders, cueing controls, and more. Decks CD offers dual digital decks, and Lib View opened an impressive library manager.
This all-in-one audio tool has a lot to recommend. If you're looking for something better than the typical freeware audio player, definitely download Disco XT's Demo!
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of Disco XT 7.1.5.
From Disco XT:
Disco XT is a versatile audio playback application with tools for mixing and organizing audio files / music. Suitable for live usage and for exporting audio files. Features include automix, 5 decks/players, multiple-layer loop/song creation, multiple cue points, looping with memory, loop adjust, transition editor, EQs, filters, effects (reverb, delay, chorus, distort), limiter, automatic and tapping BPM counter, auto skip quietness from start/end, playlists, playlist folders, artwork browser, key lists, folder view, song waveforms/peak views, separate speakers/headphones output option, sample playback (1-10 samplers, each can hold up to 40 audio samples), customizable keyboard control, customizable layout with tabs and sub-tabs.
What's new in this version: Version 7.2.1 is a maintenance release.
More Products to Consider
- Perform cross-fading, beat-matching audio mixes.
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Keep the music going, party like a rock star, and convert your ...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Organize your songs and store their important properties and in...
- Mix MP3s and achieve perfect beatmatching using manual BPM dete...
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Listen to music in all common formats and wake up to your favou...
- Manage lighting in nightclubs and lounges.
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Mix video, audio, and visualizations.
- Create, save, and load playlists, play multimedia files.
- Mix your favorite tracks and create your own audio mix CD's.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Edit your digital audio files on your Windows PC.
- View and control playback of your digital media from your Pocke...
- Create drum or audio loops and play sample files and MIDI instr...
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"This is is really good. I rate it 5 stars."
Version: Disco XT 6.3.8
The best EVA
I dont wanna write here =/
"THIS PRODUCT IS A C MINUS"
Version: Disco XT 5.5.5
THE TURNTABLES WERE COOL BUT YOU COULD NOT RECORD A MIX TO SEE THE QUALITY OF IT AT ONE POINT IT LOCKED UP THE COMPUTER AND I AM STILL TRYING TO UNINSTALL IT - MOST OF THESE PRODUCTS HAVE NO HELP MENUS
THE INABILITY TO RECORD ANYTHING TO SEE IF I WANT TO BUY IT - AND IT CRASHES AT POINTS - LIMITED HELP MENU AND NO PRELOADED SAMPLES JUST OK
50 MINUTE TIME OUTS AND LIMITING USE OF PRODUCTS DO NOT MAKE ME WANT TO PURCHASE YOUR PRODUCT - I PIURCHASED GOLDWAVE BECAUSE THE PRICE WAS RIGHT THERE ARE NO LIMITATIONS AND THAT IS WHAT WE AS CONSUMERS ARE LOOKING FOR. ALSO THE VIEW BOX WAS WAY TOO LONG
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: