CNET Editors' review
Digitize It by Alcasa is a free tool for extracting digital plotting data from image files. It has many uses, such as plotting points when the source data isn't available. It's easy to use; simply click on an image with your mouse to plot the point. Collected data can be pasted directly to Excel.
We extracted the zipped download and installed Digitize It, which opened with an interface that is similar in style to graphics editors but notable for floating options and tool tips boxes within the main window. The toolbar icons are mostly familiar with the addition of tools to sort plots by XY or YX values, AutoRead points, and other controls unique to the Digitize It's function. The program can acquire images from scanners, capture screen images, and paste clipboard data as well as import data or load locally stored image data in BMP, ICO, WMF, JPG, and GIF formats. We clicked Picture and selected Import, and then browsed to a digital snapshot. We could zoom and rotate the image as well as set the scale by clicking opposite corners to provide precise scaling data. To plot image data, we simply clicked at any point in the image, and the point appeared in the Data Points table, numbered sequentially and listing the X- and Y-axis to several decimal points. We could easily re-sort the Data Points list, edit it, and save it for a variety of uses, including replotting by other programs. The tabbed Options dialog let us set Axis Scale, the color coding for the AutoRead tool, Interpolation settings, and Pointer options. The tool tips box offered Recommended Procedures in a brief, step-by-step form, and there's a good Help file, though some Vista and Windows 7 users may need to open the Help file from the program folder because of a known issue with later editions of Windows. Digitize It actually bothers to explain it clearly, a welcome surprise.
We found Digitize It to be a precise instrument that is easy to use and easy to recommend, too. It's a great tool for students and practitioners of mathematics, geography, biometrics, anatomy, archaeology, land surveying, construction, and many other fields and disciplines.
Digitize plots using your mouse to read X,Y points; Very useful utility when source data used to create the plot is not available and it's needed for precise calculations or to reproduce the plot using another plotting program. Points are read by clicking on the image with the plot. Zoom window for more precision. Plots can be linear, log or semilog. The program allows loading the image with the plot using a scanner, screen capture, import multiple image formats or just straight from clipboard. Interpolation function allows to interpolate values between few selected points using advanced numerical methods. Autoread function recognizes data points if their color is different from the rest of the colors in the plot. Collected data points can be edited before saving them to a file or copied to the clipboard. You can paste directly to Excel. Includes help file and everything is for free. Version 3 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
What's new in this version: Version 2010 supports Windows 7 and Vista, re-arranges the Options interface for easier use.
More Products to Consider
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Collect GPS data from various GPS trackers simultaneously.
- Evaluate mathematical equations, generate graphs from equations...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Capture, organize and share notes.
- Manage all aspects of a school's student administrative system.
- Tune up and maintain your PC, with anti-spyware, privacy protec...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Search and read the Quran in different languages.
- Archive files in different formats and manage them.
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Convert Kindle Mobi, AZW, PRC books to ePUB format to read Kind...
- Connect your Nokia phone to PC to sync data, download software,...
- Convert raster data to vector data using wizard with preview mo...
- Display Quran in Uthmani script with many options and settings ...
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures with this free photo manager...
- Show and change geo data of images taken by digital cameras.
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: