CNET Editors' review
This simple-looking app lets you securely store text files in an encrypted, password-protected form. Whats more, you can embed encrypted messages in other files, increasing the security for the file.
Crypto123s apparent simplicity is deceptive. Although this shareware is essentially a text editor, like Notepad, it offers more bells and whistles add extra security to your files. As a text editor, it offers a very simple interface: a pane with multiple tabs for creating and securing documents. It has basic formatting options: different font faces, sizes, and colors.
Any novice can master Crypto123's functions in a matter of minutes. Each tabs clearly defined prompts--for creating, opening, or saving a text file; setting a password for encrypting or decrypting; embedding a file within another file; and extracting a hidden file from another file--make navigating the apps functions a very simple matter.
Crypto123 performed well in our tests. Even embedding an encrypted text file in a graphics file was a piece of cake--the embedding process required only a few seconds. And we found no tell-tale clues regarding the hidden file in the output file's Properties dialog box afterward. However, we must note that extracting this small encrypted file from the graphics file required several minutes.
Crypto123 is suitable for saving essential information. For this reason, the developers recommend Crypteditor for saving passwords, serial numbers, and other info that should be stored securely. Being able to password protect an encrypted file that's further hidden within another file adds an extra layer of security to this essential info. There's a nag screen at launch that is only minimally annoying, but the shareware fee is minimal and a bargain for the simplicity and functionality offered by this app.
From Kelly Software:
This software will allow you to encrypt and decrypt your text files, using passwords that you define, as well as embed encrypted messages into another file. Just think, you can embed a text message (encrypted) into a bitmap (picture) file and you can't tell by looking at the picture.
What's new in this version: This version is the first release on CNET Download.com.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Protect and encrypt your files or folders easily.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Protect your Yahoo Messenger messages from sniffer by encryptin...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Encrypt your messages into pictures to keep it private.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Get ringtones, send text messages, and upload pictures to your ...
- Protect your data with AES encryption.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Encrypt or decrypt text and files with a unique key you specify...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Write and encrypt your e-mail messages.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Encrypt your e-mail messages and attachments.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Encrypt all messages you send.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Encrypt and decrypt e-mails and instant messages.
- Encrypt and decrypt text.