CNET Editors' review
Cool PDF Reader provides users with a fast and easy way of viewing PDF files. With simple controls and some added benefits, this program is a fine alternative to more popular programs like Acrobat.
The program's interface shouldn't take too much work to understand, since its tightly packed command icons all come with descriptions when the mouse rolls over them. This is fortunate, since the program's online Help file is a confusing maze that we could never sort out. The program begins with users selecting a PDF by using a standard file tree search method. The document opens on the screen clearly, with a single page view. We were pleased to discover zooming in and out, as well as cycling the pages forward and backward was a single mouse click operation on the main screen, though we could not input a specific page to jump to (users must go into a menu for that function). One interesting aspect of the viewer was its Slide Show option, which automatically turns the pages for the user. Overall, the program functioned as we wanted, providing a comparable alternative to Acrobat. The program's most useful feature was its ability to convert PDFs to a number of other formats. To do so, users simply Save As and choose between TXT, BMP, JPG, GIF, PNG, WMF and more file types.
By offering a fast and simple way to view and convert PDFs, this freeware program is certain to find fans among users looking for an alternative to Acrobat.
From PDF2EXE Software:
Cool PDF Reader is the world's smallest PDF viewer and reader to view and print PDF files, and convert PDF's to TXT, BMP, JPG, GIF, PNG, WMF, EMF, EPS. It is only 650KB to download and doesn't need lengthy installation, just download, unzip, and run. Features: View and Print PDF Convert PDF to BMP, JPG, GIF, TIFF, PNG, WMF, EMF, EPS Extract PDF to TXT Support PDF files of all versions Work with 72 different languages Zoom in and zoom out Rotate page displays Slide show PDF document with full screen Small in size, only 808KB Compatible with Windows 8, 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Server 2008. Three types of distribution packages are provided, Standalone Package: no installation required (just unzip & run) 808KB All-in-One Installer: reader and its installer are made into one EXE 811KB Standard Installer: installer to setup Cool PDF Reader with wizard 1.1MB Release Note: Standard Installer and All-in-One Install require Power Users or Administrator privilege. Standalone Package works with even Guest privilege.
What's new in this version: Support mouse wheel for page up and page down. Compatible with Windows 8.
More Products to Consider
- Open, view, and print any PDF file.
- Open, view, print, and convert PDF document on Windows 8 deskto...
- Open, view, and convert Adobe PDF files.
- Print to PDF from Windows applications and optimize the PDF out...
- View DWG, DXF, and DWF drawings.
- Transform any printable document into PDF format.
- View PDF files, and convert any file to PDF.
- Simplify design process and gain better control over placement ...
- Edit text and view images with this unique editor.
- Create 3D models and upload them to Google Earth.
- Convert PDF to EXE, making PDF readable on any computer without...
- Convert TIF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, WMF, and PCX files into PDF f...
- Create, visualize, document, and share your CAD projects.
- Merge images to PDF and convert from JPEG, JPG, BMP, GIF, forma...
- Open, view, edit, and save PDF files without Adobe Acrobat.
- Create PDF files from images.
- Convert DWG/DXF files to JPEG, TIFF, BMP, GIF, and PNG formats.
- Convert PDF to Word file format.
- Convert PDF files to PNG, BMP, TIF formats preserving original ...
- Create Adobe PDF files with the push of a button.
- Convert PDF files to JPEG, BMP, PNG, and TIFF files easily.
- Convert any type of documents to PDF, and convert PDF back to e...
- Write PDF documents from any application.
All versions:3.1 stars
out of 44 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Not feature extensive enough"
Version: Cool PDF Reader 5.0
Nice & simple UI.
Very limited. I could not view the pdf's properly like the way they are viewed in the popular readers. No document contents pane.
This is Ok if you just want to 'try' to view pdf's in a very simple way. For me though, it just lacked too many important features of a PDF Viewer/Reader. :(
"Works better than expected."
Version: Cool PDF Reader 5.0
I pre-paid for a product, not yet on the market. Receiving a sample that would not allow me to print was frustrating. I need to know if the product was worth the cost.
Cool PDF Reader will print the full page but not part of a page. I only needed the map to print. Still, the print was sufficient to make my evaluation. (Yes, I made a good purchase.)
I could only print a full page at a time. I could not size the page so the area I wanted to print could be printed as viewed.
It is different than Adobe. That is both good and sad in some ways. Over all, I liked Cool PDF Reader. I might like it more after some practice.