CNET Editors' review
ClamWin Antivirus is a free antivirus solution for Windows PCs. This open-source freeware integrates with Windows Explorer and Microsoft Outlook, schedules scans, and automatically updates virus definitions. It offers good, basic protection without the bells and whistles of premium antivirus packages.
ClamWin's installer let us choose to integrate the program with Explorer and install the Outlook module, both of which we selected. Right-clicking the program's system-tray icon let us configure and update ClamWin as well as schedule scans, display reports, manually check for updates, and attend to other matters. The program's main interface is utterly basic but efficient, with a simple tree view for selecting directories to scan. We selected our C drive, and ClamWin performed a thorough scan, turning up a variety of potential issues for us to review, some of which weren't problems but were worth verifying anyway. However, it did turn up a suspected Trojan horse. While it probably wasn't dangerous since we knew its source, we opted to remove it anyway. We could set ClamWin to report findings for manual cleaning, delete suspected files as they're found, or quarantine them. When we opened Outlook, ClamWin opened with it, and it showed up on Outlook's Add-In ribbon; Outlook worked normally under ClamWin's protection, too.
Good protection is cheap at half the price, and antivirus software is certainly one aspect of PC ownership you shouldn't scrimp on. Free tools like ClamWin offer basic but viable alternatives to the subscription-based premium tools, many of which rely on automatic conveniences and extras to justify their price tags. As with any antivirus tool, we strongly recommend reviewing your options and doing some research before you commit to protection of your primary PC. For second PCs, infrequently used machines, and tight budgets, we can recommend ClamWin without hesitation since any decent antivirus freeware is better than no protection at all.
ClamWin Antivirus is antivirus software for Windows. It provides a graphical user interface to the Clam AntiVirus engine. ClamWin uses the GNU General Public License. ClamWin Antivirus comes with an installer and open source code at no cost. It features: scanning scheduler, automatic virus database updates, standalone virus scanner, integration to MS Windows Explorer, and add-in to MS Outlook.
What's new in this version: Version 0.97.8 is a maintenance release updated ClamAV scanning engine and patches more security vulnerabilities.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Stop online threats without slowing down your PC.
- Take your antivirus with you to scan files on the go.
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Keep your PC protected from all Internet threats, never slowing...
- Surround yourself with protection from viruses, spyware, fraudu...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Scan, detect, and cure viruses on your computer.
- Protect your computer against viruses, malware, adware, spyware...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect your PC from threats and malware.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Protect your PC against threats and malware.
- Protect your PC from harmful threats.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 107 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Easy to use, but seems ineffective!!"
Version: ClamWin Antivirus 0.97.8
silently runs in background with no pop ups...
I have got many viruses and malware even with this running... it doesn't detect anything it seems... even when you do the manual scan!!
"Good Low Impact Antivirus program but see below"
Version: ClamWin Antivirus 0.97.8
Very low resource usage.
Will run under Windows Server 2003.
No annoying pop ups or nag screens.
No "real time" protection.
This free Anti Virus program has the lowest resource usage of any program that I have tested, probably because it does _not_ offer real time scanning.PS: A full scan will take several hours, but this can be scheduled for hours when nobody will be using the computer.
It is also the *only* free anti virus program that will run under Windows Server 2003.
The low impact of ClamWin is due at least in part to the fact that there is no real time scanning, so users of ClamWin should be well versed in safe computing. Anything that is downloaded from the net, or even transferred over a network or USB drive should be manually scanned before opening or executing it. This is easily done by right clicking the file or folder and choosing "Scan with ClamWin Free Antivirus" from the pulldown menu.
The main problem with ClamWin and why I gave it only 3.5 stars is the high number of false positives. Make *sure* that you do not sent it to delete suspect files! Set ClamWin to "quarantine" any suspect files. Then after doing a scan if you find that one of your programs does not operate correctly, you can restore the file to the original location.
Bottom line: The first choice for someone with an older machine that can't take the overhead of real time antivirus programs, but the user must practice safe computing in order to be fully protected.
Updated on Oct 8, 2013