CNET Editors' review
Today's desktops are as wide as the prairie, but nowhere near as lonesome. In fact, they can seem downright crowded, and never more so than when you're trying to concentrate on a particular window, such as an embedded video surrounded by flashing banner ads.
Hellogramming's CinemaDrape can help you with that. This simple portable freeware is sort of like a negative screen capture tool, but instead of copying the selected area of your screen, it blacks out all the rest, leaving only your Focus Area visible. If you like watching movies online but hate seeing the controls or window edges, CinemaDrape can drape your cinema, obscuring the distractions and allowing you to focus on the show, or on any window, for that matter. It's quicker than minimizing or closing all your open windows one by one, and your workspace remains untouched; when you pause CinemaDrape, everything is where you left it. The latest version of CinemaDrape is ready for Windows 8.
CinemaDrape starts by blacking out your screen and displaying an optional Quick Start guide that you can stop from loading when you're familiar with the program's features and controls. Right-clicking produced a menu in white font containing all of CinemaDrape's controls and settings, including Extras like the ability to save and load Layouts. CinemaDrape has several modes, but the quickest and easiest way to use it is to simply click your mouse and drag the cursor over the area you want to see. Simply release the cursor to keep the rest of your desktop masked, and then click or use hot keys to quit or pause the program, open the menu to set the options, or change the view. You can display multiple Focus Areas, too, or set CinemaDrape to restore Focus Areas when it starts.
CinemaDrape may not be the killer productivity app that the Ford Model T was, but it's better in this respect: you really can have any color you want, not just black, by changing CinemaDrape's background color. We also liked changing the transparency to let a little desktop peek through. This interesting tool has a lot of potential uses.
CinemaDrape helps you focus on your current task on the screen (such as a video in a web page, a photo or a document editor area) by instantly blanking or dimming the other less important areas in a web page or in the background windows. With CinemaDrape you no longer have to manually clean up your working screen area, close windows, or watch lower resolution videos in full screen mode just to get rid of disturbing side elements or ads. CinemaDrape is easy to start: just move your mouse over the area you want to focus on and press your own favorite custom keyboard combination. This works in any Web browser or in any other program you are using. CinemaDrape is also easy to close: just press Escape or select Quit from the context menu.
What's new in this version: Version 184.108.40.206 has added new transparent focus areas using the mouse, like drawing rectangles in a graphic program.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Show a Taskbar on every monitor or span a wallpaper image from ...
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Index programs in your Start menu and launch them via keystroke...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Manage and organize image, audio, and video files.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create sticky notes on your desktop.
- Create and control virtual desktops.
- Enhance and organize your Windows desktop.
- Create and manage personal todo list and shared task list for y...
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Manage your files and folders on your PC.
- Hide or show any window on your desktop.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"As useful as your own creativity"
Version: CinemaDrape 1.0
This program is as useful as you are creative. Ive only used it for a short period but lookf orward to integrating into my screen switching routine with the sysinternals multiple desktop software.
I have yet to find any problems with it but i've only used for a short period of time.
For GUI power freaks, this software will come in very handy. You can change the background color and opacity too. You can use it to black out parts of your screen and make only the selected areas enabled for access via mouse/keys. I am using it with a dual monitor / extended desktop setup. At night when watch a videos on the external monitor and want to black out the light coming from my primary monitor, this may come in very handy. Could prove to be useful for use with my Projector as well. A recommended download.
om namah shivaya
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content