CNET Editors' review
There aren't many options for Windows users who want to alter their Windows Explorer context menus. An imperfect, but reasonable choice is the CMenuExtender. This application is compatible with all Microsoft operating systems from Windows 95 through Vista. This application can't edit existing context menu options, however, it is customizable. If users find a method of removing other options that are cluttering up their menu, they can load the ones they need with this editor.
After installation, hit either the New Menu or New Item buttons. New Item will add the new option directly to the main context menu, while New Menu will create a submenu. Users can Move or Copy the selected item to a named folder, or choose the folder at will, insert a time stamp, e-mail the item, show the path, display properties, launch a specific application or Web page, and more. In addition to setting separators, you can also create custom commands--although that feature requires some programming knowledge in advance.
CMenuExtender suffers from a name that's not simple enough and an interface that's too simple. Light on resources, it needs a bit of polish and a clear list of instructions on how to use it. Even in an application with a feature list as unembellished as this one, there's no reason to create an interface that inspires boredom. Most power users should be able to eke out what they need from CMenuExtender, but this is definitely not for beginners.
Adds customizable items and submenus to the Explorer context menu. Items can be shortcuts for folders, files, programs, Web pages and e-mail addresses. Editing the menu(s) can be done with the included editor or using Regedit.exe. Version 22.214.171.124 includes unspecified.
What's new in this version: Version 126.96.36.199 includes unspecified.
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Hide any Explorer or desktop-context-menu item, or move it to a...
- Add your items to Explorer shell context menu.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Eliminate pop-ups, advertisements, and other intrusive items.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Add Items to Windows Explorer context menu.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Search and extract Bitmap, icon Jpeg/GIF/PNG and AVI/WAVE files...
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Saves and runs Windows Explorer move, copy, and delete operatio...
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows user interface.
- Browse Internet using browser's integrating Cloud technologies.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Browse the web without distraction.
- Create and stick electronic notes on your Windows desktop.
- Find information about Final Fantasy XI.
- Wake up/remember important event to your favorite songs.
- Protect your system from security vulnerabilities in Internet E...
- Deliver news items directly to your desktop.