CNET Editors' review
Offering a front-end customizable media player that lets you control playback of your music, Bowtie for Mac gives you an easy way to listen to music while searching the Last.fm database and updating any missing tags or cover art from your music library. It's lightweight and highly customizable, and you can even have it as part of your wallpaper, on your Dock, or in the Menu Bar. It's a nice app for music lovers.
Bowtie for Mac's interface resembles the one used on the sixth generation of iPod nano; all you see is a small rectangle displaying the cover art. A double-click reveals the playback controls. One thing to note is that if you don't have iTunes or any other media player and library set up, this main window will not appear. In the app's options you can set up custom shortcuts to handle playback, which we recommend, since we found the default setting to be somewhat overlapping with OS X defaults. Integration with Last.fm works well, and if there's enough information in the song file, the app will automatically populate any missing tags or artwork. What you'll probably also like is the ability to customize Bowtie to your liking by downloading one of many available skins.
Want to use onscreen controls to manage your music collection? Or to retrieve song information from Last.fm? Then you'll enjoy Bowtie for Mac, with its nice features and accessibility. It's a good companion app to iTunes, Spotify and Rdio -- and best of all, it's free.
From Matt Patenaude:
More Products to Consider
- Learn to play an instrument, write music, record a song.
- Mix, scratch and remix MP3s or music videos live.
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- Save YouTube and Vimeo videos in MP3 format.
- YouTube video player and downloader.
- Digital video editing system.
- Universal, highly tweakable DVD/video ripper and converter.
- Music creation and audio production.
- Convert MPC, APE, WV, FLAC, OGG, WMA, AIFF, WAV and Video to MP...
- Download videos and transfer to mobile devices.
- Edit music, voice, and other audio recordings.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your Mac, iPod, iPhone...
- Convert & add audio files to iPhone ringtones in iTunes.
- Switch Mac audio file format converter. Convert between over 40...
- Transfer songs from your iPod back to your computer.
- Convert WMA, WMV files to MP3 format.
- Explore the creative possibilities of mixing with this full-fea...
- Convert video between popular formats and enjoy an enhanced pla...
- Search and download audio, video, and data file stream from the...
- Print and display song sheets.
- Publish current iTunes song info to blogs or sites.
- Control your iTunes easily.
- System theme & icon set designer, creator, editor.
- Lightweight iTunes controller with LRC lyrics support.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content