From Timothy R. Butler:
Bochs is a highly portable open source IA-32 (x86) PC emulator written in C++, that runs on most popular platforms. It includes emulation of the Intel x86 CPU, common I/O devices, and a custom BIOS. Currently, bochs can be compiled to emulate a 386, 486 or Pentium CPU. Bochs is capable of running most Operating Systems inside the emulation including Linux, Windows 95, DOS, and recently Windows NT 4. Bochs was written by Kevin Lawton and is currently maintained by this project.
Bochs can be compiled and used in a variety of modes, some which are still in development. The 'typical' use of bochs is to provide complete x86 PC emulation, including the x86 processor, hardware devices, and memory. This allows you to run OS's and software within the emulator on your workstation, much like you have a machine inside of a machine. For instance, let's say your workstation is a Unix/X11 workstation, but you want to run Win'95 applications. Bochs will allow you to run Win 95 and associated software on your Unix/X11 workstation, displaying a window on your workstation, simulating a monitor on a PC.
What's new in this version:
- VMX: implemented VMENTER to non-active guest state (HLT, SHUTDOWN, WAIT-FOR-SIPI)
- VMX: fixed write of guest segment access rights VMCS fields (32-bit field
was truncated to 16-bit)
- CPUID: Don't report Architectural Performance Monitoring in CPUID.
Reporting true capabilities without actually supporting them breaks Win7 x64 installation.
- CPUID: Fixed bx_generic CPUID std leafs (all std leafs > 2 were corrupted)
- CPUI... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Data recovery software.
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...
- Perform maintenance and other tasks on your Mac.
- Uninstall apps easily.
- Manually switch between Intel and NVIDIA GPUs on Core i5/i7 Mac...
- Run Windows on Intel Macs.
- Lion native Wireshark.app installer (no X11).
- Semi-modular 32-note polyphonic software synthesizer.
- Digital signage software for ViewStream media players.
- Place an alarm clock on your desktop and use your audio files a...
- DCL-based Newton connection utility.
- Graphically displays disk usage.
- Update your network system software.
- Edit Word documents, XLS files, and databases.