CNET Editors' review
Compiled HTML Help (CHM) files are frequently used in Windows applications. Batchwork's Batch CHM to Word Converter converts CHM files to Microsoft Word documents singly or in batches. To that end, it integrates a file-specific search feature; drag-and-drop functionality; and the ability to pause, save, and resume conversion jobs in project files using a proprietary format (.batch-doc2chm) in a single, simple interface.
This is a compact tool that downloads, installs, and sets up quickly. The interface is intentionally simple and efficient, with an integrated file menu/toolbar, Source and Target fields, Search and Convert buttons, and main file display. The tool/menu bar includes a full Help file as well as icons for support and updates. Buttons labeled Folder, File, and View call up compact dialogs for browsing to directories; we used it to check our test system for CHM files. The software found hundreds, including the same files in many different languages. We created a target folder in a chosen directory and clicked Convert. Not only did the program quickly convert the large batch of files to Word docs, but it also preserved all the hierarchical folder structure within the target folder, which made it much easier to find specific files. The new Word documents opened normally, and all content appeared intact.
Batch CHM to Word Converter is easy to learn and use, and it's quick and effective at what it does. You probably have more CHM files in your PC than you realize; this tool makes it easy to access them. It's definitely recommended.
Editors' note: This is a review of the full version of Batch CHM to Word Converter 2010.2.506.1193. The trial version is limited to seven days trial only.
From Batchwork Software:
Batch CHM TO DOC Converter is an ultra-fast CHM to Word Document Batch converter. It supports powerful search for a lot of files and Drag and Explorer Context. Simple interface allows you to stop or pause and continue converting in any time and you can save your conversion work in a project file (.batch-doc2chm) for re-use.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Create, manage, and collaborate with others on presentations.
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Read, create, and save files seamlessly in Office 2007/2010 and...
- Recognize text from images using the open source Tesseract OCR ...
- Convert Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents to text.
- Manage every document on your computer, including pictures, gra...
- Convert Word 2007-2010 format file to Word 97-2003 format file.
- Convert graphics files in a batch mode.
- Convert Word, RTF, and TXT files into PDF documents.
- Search and replace text in multiple files at the same time.
- Convert DjVu and multi-page TIFF files into PDF format.
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Create PDF documents in a WYSIWYG environment.
- Join text and Word-supported files.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Only good for smaller CHM files"
Version: Batch CHM to Word Converter 2011.3.827.1316
Installs and uninstalls quickly
On larger chm files, it just quits after a few dozen pages. Apparently, you have to buy the regular version to get anything further.
Wasn't worth my time, and there was no way I was going to spend $200 on the full version, if the limited version hid so much.
Version: Batch CHM to Word Converter 2010.2.301.1172
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: