CNET Editors' review
With so many audio editors out there, finding the right tool for the job can be tricky. The multiplatform, open-source editor Audacity has leaped to the top of our list with its clean interface, excellent features, and support for 32-bit floating-point audio. Audacity succeeds at being both feature-rich and flexible, while keeping the toolbar and work space uncluttered. It does this by relegating most functions--such as effects, edits, and project management--to handy drop-down menus.
Audacity supports uncompressed audio standards such as WAV and AIFF in addition to OGG and MP3 files. A full complement of basic effects such as reverb, delay, and compression are included. Virtual Studio Technology (VST), Linux Audio Developers Simple Plugin Architecture (LAPSDA), and Nyquist plug-ins also are available if you're looking to expand. Another eye-catching feature is the Beat Analyzer, which helps you peg the beats per minute of a phrase.
The performance of most functions is quick--even CPU-hogging tasks such as exporting to MP3 or adding complex effects. Though Audacity doesn't offer advanced effects or features out of the box, its usability and price set this freeware wonder above the crowd.
From Audacity Developer Team:
Audacity is an open source, cross-platform audio editor and recorder. Audacity can record and play sounds and import and export WAV, AIFF, MP3, and OGG files. Edit your sounds using cut, copy, and paste features (with unlimited undo functionality), mix tracks, or apply effects to your recordings. Audacity also has a built-in amplitude-envelope editor, a customizable spectrogram mode, and a frequency-analysis window for audio-analysis applications.
What's new in this version: Version 2.0.5 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Edit your digital audio files right from any portable storage d...
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Edit, record, convert, and play your audio files.
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Add over 90 open-source plug-ins to the audio editor Audacity.
- Record and edit audio, and convert audio to MP3, WAV, and OGG f...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Rip audio CD tracks to MP3, WAV, or OGG files.
- Add, edit, or delete ID3 tags of your audio files.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Record, edit, and convert digital-audio files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Create drum or audio loops and play sample files and MIDI instr...
- Record, edit, mix, and publish audio to the Web.
- Edit voice and sound recordings on a Windows PC.
- Convert audio files from one format to another.
- Play all MPEG, OGG, VBOS, and stream track formats.
All versions:4.2 stars
out of 775 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1