CNET Editors' review
Those who rely on automatic log-in features may get in trouble when they have to actually remember what resides behind those asterisks. This concept for KRyLack Password Decryptor offers help for those situations, but we ran into problems with its functionality in our tests.
The program launches a tastefully designed, easy-to-use interface that's simple to comprehend. Each button and field is carefully labeled to explain the steps for using this tool. We liked its look and feel. Unfortunately, it just didn't perform well in our tests.
By dragging an icon from its interface over the asterisks in a password field, KRyLack should display the actual password in its Recovered Password pane. However, it only works with Internet Explorer, so if your default browser is something else, you may as well skip the rest of this review. Second, KRyLack didn't reveal any of our passwords in any of our tests. Third, during the fifth time we attempted to use the tool, it wouldn't function at all: a message box popped up and said, "Out of memory."
The trial version only displays the first three characters of the password, a common restriction for this type of program. Of greater concern were the functionality issues we encountered. Although we like the premise for this app, we can't recommend it as it stands. Perhaps an upgrade will solve its problems. Till then, keep those passwords tucked securely in your memory!
From KRyLack Software:
Asterisk Password Decryptor is a powerful tool to recover lost or forgotten passwords. It allows you to reveal the hidden passwords on password dialog boxes and web pages that are hidden by the row of asterisks (*****). You can simply drag the icon to any password box to find the real password hidden by the asterisks. Asterisk Password Decryptor instantly recovers lost passwords from most Windows applications that store passwords hidden behind the asterisks. It easily recovers passwords for e-mail accounts in Microsoft Outlook, Windows Mail and many other e-mail clients, FTP accounts in CuteFTP, FlashFXP, FileZilla and other FTP clients. Asterisk Password Decryptor also allows to see the hidden password on web pages in Internet Explorer. Asterisk Password Decryptor is password a recovery tool that allows you to view passwords hidden behind the asterisks in password fields. It uncovers hidden passwords from password dialog boxes and Windows Internet Explorer web pages. Works on Windows 2000, XP, 2003 Server, Vista, 2008 Server, 7, 8 (x86 and x64 editions).
What's new in this version: Asterisk Password Decryptor v3.10.98 supports password recovery in both 32-bit and 64-bit applications; can now recover lost passwords in Internet Explorer 9/10 with enabled Protected Mode.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Recover passwords created with WinZip, PKZIP, or any other ZIP-...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Show the password hidden behind asterisks.
- Recover your WordPerfect documents' passwords.
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Recover lost MS Word passwords.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Recover forgotten or lost passwords for Quicken.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Recover different types of passwords.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Recover your VBA project passwords.
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Reveal all kinds of IncrediMail passwords.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Recover lost or forgotten passwords in most windows application...
- Recover instant messenger passwords on your PC.
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...