Ashampoo's Slideshow Studio HD 3 can take a collection of still pictures and sound clips and turn it into a basic slideshow or a public television-style documentary with music, narration, onscreen text, and special effects. It saves projects as video clips in popular formats that will play on all your devices, plus you can share them with others or post them online. Slideshow Studio HD 3 is freeware that you can try for 40 days without registering. Registration, which is also free, enables support.
At first glance, Slideshow Studio's user interface presents a busy appearance, though it's stylish and efficient, too, with a toolbar, timeline, and quick-rotating preview pane. We started with a New Project, which involves loading images, selecting orientation, transition interval, and adding text, sound, and more. Slideshow Studio's wizard walked us through each step, starting with screen ratio (16:9 widescreen or 4:3 normal). The Add Files tool configures the sort order (alphanumeric, randomize, and so on), while a drop-down menu offers themes like Romance, Travel, Holidays, and Sports; or we could configure our own from tabs labeled "Themes," "Logos," "Subtitles," "Music Effects," and "Recordings." We set the duration and style of transition effects from a huge list of options. With a microphone, you also can record narration. When all was set, we clicked "Produce Slideshow." Our finished production played normally in our usual media player and we were happy with the results.
By far our favorite feature of Slideshow Studio HD 3, and the one that sets it above similar tools, is its Ken Burns Effect Editor, named for the documentary filmmaker who popularized the technique of bringing still images to life through subtle panning and motion. With its wonderful features and ease of use, Ashampoo's Slideshow Studio HD 3 eclipses other slideshow tools we've tried, free or not.
Editors' note: This is a review of the full version of Ashampoo Slideshow Studio HD 3. The trial version is limited to 40 days.
Your photos have a story - tell it with Ashampoo Slideshow Studio HD 3. Select from various occasion-related templates or create your own design, make an emotional impact with background music and individual sound effects, record your own voice narration and add texts and ilustrations. When you're done, render everything to full HD video and optimize it for social networks or simply burn it to DVD and Blu-ray.Highlights:
- - Intuitive, well-structured UI
- - Different default timeline and subtitle styles
- - Various occasion-related themes and logos
- - Fully-animated opening and closing credits
- - Transitions: Blocks, Bubble, Butterfly, Circular, Clock, Diamond, Fade, Fall, Melting, Sand, Slide Over, Squares, Star, Sweep, Swirl, Flip, Wheel, White Out, Curtains
- - Customizable Ken Burns effect (auto-panning and -zooming)
- - Objects: Add, edit, rotate and mirror text, table, image and shape overlays
- - Auto-insert file data (filename, size, date) as text objects
- - Adjustable fade/display durations for slides and embedded objects
- - Apply background music
- - Various individual sound effects
- - Record from any registered Windows recording device, e.g. microphone
- - Create (full HD) videos and burn DVD and Blu-ray discs.
What's new in this version:
Version 3.0.5 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.