Alphatk is made for programmers, those writing a lot of TeX or LaTeX documents, and for editing of HTML source files. It has very rich features to aid in writing and editing files of those document types. The programming languages strongly supported are C, C++, Java, Tcl, Perl, Matlab. Most other common languages are also supported, although perhaps not with quite such a rich feature set.
- Cross-platform -- use the same editor on Windows, Unix and MacOS X.
- Very extensible and configurable
- Mode-specific syntax colouring, configurable with built in support for C/C++, HTML, Java, Tcl, Perl and 40 other modes.
- Exceptionally powerful modes for HTML/CSS, LaTeX/BibTeX, Perl, Matlab, C++, Java, Tcl and Metafont
- File sets - organise your files and deal with sets independently, including operations like printing, ftp-mirroring, version control, archiving, etc.
- Active user community writing additional modes, menus and other plugins,
- Open source, and easily customizable.
- Configurable keyboard mapping
- Contains helpers so you can easily add yet more modes!
- Completely scriptable
- Available either as a set of scripts or as a single standalone executable (or 'starkit')
- Support for unlimited variety of plugins
- Tearoff menus for easy access.
- Automatic backup of files
- Multi-byte (IME) Support