CNET Editors' review
Most people know about the lack of support for Flash on the iPad and iPhone, but Flash is alive and well on Mac OS X with the Adobe Flash Player for Mac. As the app name suggests, this is a player for Flash 11 videos for Mac OS X 10.6 and higher. Adobe Flash Player for Mac is a browser plug-in and allows viewing of Web sites with Flash videos embedded in them to appear on the Mac OS. You won't find Adobe Flash Player for Mac on the App Store (thanks to the dispute between the two companies) but you can get it from the Adobe and many download sites.
Flash 11 is the latest version of Flash from Adobe, and Adobe Flash Player for Mac supports all the features of Flash 11 including filters and effects and false 3D. Since a considerable number of Web sites rely on Flash, having the ability to view these videos using Safari or other Mac-compatible browser allows Web sites to appear as the developers intended. In testing, Adobe Flash Player for Mac worked as advertised, playing Flash videos inside our Web browser without intervention, although we did experience freezes of a few videos on some sites (randomly, it seems) that required a refresh of the site to overcome. Curiously, most of the issues were while using Firefox.
Adobe Flash Player for Mac isn't the only Flash player available for the Mac, but it's the official release from Adobe. For the most part it worked great, but the random lockups are a bit worrisome. Still, that's better than not having any Flash support on the Mac at all.Adobe Flash Player - View flash content and video in your OSX browsers - Download Video Previews:
From Adobe Systems:
Flash Player 11 is a lightweight, highly expressive client runtime that delivers powerful and consistent user experiences across major operating systems, browsers, mobile phones, and devices. Adobe Flash Player software is a cross-platform browser plug-in that delivers breakthrough web experiences and is installed on more than 98% of Internet-connected desktops. Flash Player 11 introduces 3D effects, custom filters and effects, advanced text support, and more.
More Products to Consider
- Surf the Web, block pop-ups, and keep spyware at bay with a lea...
- Explore the web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Alternative Web browser with server-side compression for slow c...
- Browse the web comfortably.
- Connect with friends, preview search results, and get website u...
- Download a new, fast browser.
- Combine powerful browsing with media downloading and sharing.
- Browser plugin to view rich multimedia web content.
- Rich media content plugin for the web.
- Beta channel of Google's web browser.
- Web browser.
- Check out the latest beta of the next Firefox update.
- QuickTime plugin that plays many video formats.
- Control iTunes, make play lists, and find new music.
- OS X users: Add animated logos, movie clips, and more over your...
- Create playlists of video files and play them in full-screen mo...
- Browse the web, work with mail, chat in IRC and edit HTML.
- Web browser with Mozilla's rendering engine.
- Access Facebook without a web browser.
- Motion graphics & visual effects for film, video, multimedia, w...
- Keep track of your best golf rounds.
- Block ad elements in Safari.
- Play and manage your sound files.
- Play and achieve your goals with your own army of mutant creatu...
All versions:2.4 stars
out of 196 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"What is all this crap about it not working?"
Version: Adobe Flash Player 126.96.36.199
I have 12 installed. I don't recall ever having a problem with any of them. Installation problems??? - It should be a no brainer automatic install, as Mac systems remind you of updates . . .
I don't know of any.
It never occurred to me that it would be a problem, especially with so many of the "reviewers". I have to guess there is something wrong with their Macs . . . .