CNET Editors' review
A Photoshop plugin, AKVIS Coloriage for Mac helps you manipulate colors in images or add colors to black and white photos. It features natural-looking color additions that work not only for portraits but also for other types of photos.
Basic colorizing: With AKVIS Coloriage for Mac you don't have to worry about layers or the setting of borders for the parts you need to work on. This plugin automatically recognizes borders and gets it right most of the time. All you need to do is define areas or objects that you want colored with a pencil tool, select a color, and apply it.
Includes RAW processing: This app works well with RAW photos taken with Sony, Canon, Nikon, Fujifilm, and other cameras.
Not ideal for advanced users: While this app's plainness is an advantage for most users, it may seem too austere if you're used to working with layers and other sophisticated color editing techniques. Nevertheless, it can be conveniently used alongside other Photoshop tools, since it's a plugin.
Only compatible with Adobe Photoshop: This application works only with Adobe Photoshop v6-7, CS-CS5, CS6, Creative Cloud, and Elements. It's not compatible with Corel AfterShot Pro, Apple Aperture, GIMP, and other image or photo editors for Mac.
AKVIS Coloriage for Mac can be a handy tool if you do occasional, basic photo editing through the Adobe Photoshop family of photo/image editors. If you want a quick way to add or modify colors in your photos, this is a good enough free tool to download.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of AKVIS Coloriage for Mac 9.5
AKVIS Coloriage manipulates colors of an image: from colorizing old black and white photos from your family archive to replacing colors in your color photos.
Make a present for your grandmother by adding color to her school photo, replace the colors of your car to see how it would look in scarlet, see how you will look if you dye your hair red.
AKVIS Coloriage creates natural-looking colorization in a quick and entertaining manner. It works equally well for coloring of portraits, landscapes, fashion, and still life. The skin, sky, verdure, and tree color patterns help users to select realistic colors for their picture.
Apply your creativity and you will find a wide variety of other usages for the software. You can create colorful backgrounds out of ordinary dull pictures, you can apply AKVIS Coloriage to get rid of the red eye effect, to make selective color correction, selective desaturation and colorizing, etc.
AKVIS Coloriage is as easy to use as a coloring book. No layers manipulation, no complicated techniques, no more hours of frustration attempting to get just the look you want - everything is done with a few brush strokes. Indicate the desired colors by the stroke of the brush; the program does the rest of the work: recognizes the object's border and tailors the new color to the grayscale tones of the initial picture.
What's new in this version:
- New share feature has been added. Now you can quickly post pictures from the programs to the social services: Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Tumblr, Google+.
- RAW processing has been improved. The list of supported digital cameras has been extended with new cameras from various manufacturers (FUJIFILM, SONY, NIKON, CANON, and others).
- Minor bugs have been fixed.
More Products to Consider
- Create or download 3D models.
- Create and process PDF documents.
- Convert PDF files to various formats.
- Outline home plans, lay out furniture & view the results in 3D.
- Create or download 3D models.
- 3D modeling, animation & rendering tool.
- Paint app similar to MacPaint & Microsoft Paint.
- Create various architectural designs.
- Explore new paths with this vector tool.
- Work with CDR files on your Mac.
- Convert PDFs and images to text via OCR.
- Masking tool that saves you time on complex selections.
- Page layout & design.
- Photoshop plug-in to reduce noise & grain.
- Multi-technique animation software for hobbyists, students and ...
- IMovie plugin converts clips into halftone.
- Professional color-matching app.
- Design home and office interiors on Mac.
- IMovie plugin reduces clip's frame rate.
- Princess coloring book with color by numbers and preset colors.
- Collection of brushes for photo retouching and portrait enhance...
- Remove noise from digital images.
- 2D CAD product to create, edit and view DWG files.
- Color noise Photoshop plugin.