YouCam's app employs augmented reality technology to let users see what they would look like wearing products from brands like L'Oréal, Estée Lauder and Yves Saint Laurent.
This week at CES 2019, the company announced the new Beauty 3.0 AI tool. The feature can recommend foundation, lipstick, eyeliner and other makeup products in real time. The Beauty 3.0 tools build on YouCam's AR features.
After you make a profile on YouCam, you can follow other users if you'd like a more social media-type experience. You can virtually try on makeup in real time or use a selfie you've already taken. I thought that the tools looked more realistic if you applied them to an uploaded selfie.
Tapping the Skin Score icon lets the app analyze how healthy your skin is. YouCam snaps a selfie after you line up your face in the app's parameters. After a second, the app analyzes dark spots, wrinkles, skin texture and dark circles.
The score works on a spectrum. If you score 70 or above, your skin is in good shape, according to YouCam. The app offers products from the brands its associated with so you can improve your skin over time.
In real-time or with your uploaded selfie, you can experiment with different pre-made looks or mix and match different brands, styles and levels of coverage.
YouCam sets itself apart from other selfie apps by letting you try products, making shopping for makeup a bit easier and encouraging skin health. But, the app does include some troublesome features like a face-shaper, which makes your face larger or smaller.
Altering our faces in apps like YouCam, FaceTune, Perfect Me or Lensa can help us take a "better" selfie, but has harmful effects on self esteem. A condition called "Snapchat Dysmorphia" can occur when we use filters on social media photos so often that we barely recognize ourselves in the mirror.
And users should still be aware that no purchased beauty product will make them look as 100 percent flawless as the app does.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter for all the latest app news.
- Perfect Corp announced the new Beauty 3.0 AI tool. The feature can recommend foundation, lipstick, eyeliner and other makeup products in real time. The Beauty 3.0 tools build on YouCam's AR features.
- YouCam sets itself apart from other selfie apps by letting you try products, making shopping for makeup a bit easier and encouraging skin health. The company and potential users should still keep in mind harmful effects on self esteem.
- Prisma's selfie app lets you 'keep your natural look,' except it doesn't
- CES 2019: HERE Mobility debuts app that will let you replace Uber and Lyft
- CES 2019: How the Veta app and Smart Case help you keep track of your EpiPen
- CES 2019: Interactive VR exhibit encourages diversity and inclusion by addressing unconscious bias
- CES 2019: Lyft is starting to test self-driving rides
- LG TVs meet Samsung with support for Apple AirPlay and HomeKit
- CES 2019 opens to a flying car, a boxing robot and a Google Assistant ride(CNET)
- CES 2019: The 'perfected' Dell XPS 13 (ZDNet)
- CES 2019: How TOTO is making restrooms smarter (TechRepublic)