You're in your car trying to get driving directions at the same time you're fiddling with an audio app to rev up your favorite music or audiobook. Not easy, right? Well, the folks at Waze have a solution that should help.
Waze is introducing a built-in audio player that will pipe through music, audiobooks, podcasts, and more directly within the app itself. Yes, that means you can tune up your favorite sounds without having to leave Waze to switch to a dedicated audio app. The audio player is already available in the latest beta release of Waze and will start rolling out to the public version on November 14, according to Mashable.
Waze has proven to be an innovative, crowdsourced way to get driving directions, with its community of drivers offering tips, advice, and warnings to help you navigate your way. But the service, which was acquired by Google in 2013, hasn't been standing still. In recent months, Waze has launched a Carpool app to help you share rides, added support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and enhanced its ETA screen to alert you to traffic before you leave.
Waze started with music last year when it integrated Spotify. Simply tap the Spotify icon on the Waze screen to listen to and control your music. The new audio player will initially support Pandora, Deezer, iHeartRadio, NPR, Scribd, Stitcher, TuneIn, and Spotify. But more audio services will likely be added down the road as Waze is offering an audio kit through which developers can integrate their apps.
If you'd like to check out the Waze audio player now, you'll have to sign up for the Waze beta community to receive an invitation. Otherwise, just wait a couple of weeks for the feature to start its journey to all Waze users.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter for all the latest app news.
- Waze is introducing an integrated audio player to play music, audiobooks, and podcasts without leaving the app.
- The audio player will provide access to Pandora, Deezer, iHeartRadio, NPR, Scribd, Stitcher, TuneIn, and Spotify.
- Waze turn-by-turn navigation service brings separate 'Carpool' app to all US customers
- Waze turn-by-turn navigation app to get built-in roadside assistance in UK, France
- Google Maps app is getting more Waze traffic report features that people love
- 9 Waze tips to get where you're going faster (CNET)
- How Waze uses crowdsourcing for better traffic data (ZDNet)
- Waze Carpool gets rebuilt for Brazil launch (TechRepublic)