iTunes users will soon have a new way to watch their favorite movies and TV shows on a big screen, Samsung announced at CES 2019 this week in Las Vegas.
Starting this spring, Samsung will offer iTunes movies and TV shows on its 2019 smart TVs, the company announced at the show. Available across more than 100 countries, the access will come via a dedicated app. Samsung smart TVs for in 2019 will automatically include the app, while 2018 models will snag it through a firmware update.
iTunes users who want to watch movies and shows on a TV screen currently have limited options. You can use a product like Apple TV. You can manually connect your iOS device to your TV via an adapter. Or you can stream your content to a TV as long as it supports Apple AirPlay. The integration with Samsung smart TVs creates a simpler and smoother option as long as you have one of the newer TV models.
Using the iTunes Movies and TV Shows app, Samsung smart TV owners will be able to access all the content in their iTunes library and buy or rent new items through the iTunes Store. The app will work with Samsung's built-in smart TV services, such as the Universal Guide, Bixby and the Search feature, the company said.
Samsung's 2019 smart TVs will also support Apple's AirPlay 2, so iPhone and iPad users can mirror their music, videos, photos and other content on a big screen. Launching across 190 countries, AirPlay 2 will be available on Samsung's QLED 4K and 8K TVs, Frame and Serif lifestyle TVs and other Samsung UHD and HD smart TVs. AirPlay 2 is getting more traction as other "leading TV manufacturers" are supporting it on their smart TVs, according to Apple's AirPlay page.
"We look forward to bringing the iTunes and AirPlay 2 experience to even more customers around the world through Samsung Smart TVs, so iPhone, iPad and Mac users have yet another way to enjoy all their favorite content on the biggest screen in their home," Eddy Cue, senior vice president of Internet Software and Services at Apple.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter for all the latest app news.
- Samsung will add an iTunes movies and TV show app to its 2019 and 2018 smart TVs in the spring.
- Samsung will also support Apple's AirPlay 2 with its 2019 model smart TVs so you can mirror your videos, music, and more from your iPhone or iPad.
- Apple reveals App Store customers spent record $322M on New Year's Day
- Apple adds 'Device Trust Score' to iOS 12 in effort to prevent fraud in iTunes and App Store
- Google Maps officially arrives in Apple CarPlay for iOS 12 devices
- Samsung's 2019 TVs to support Apple iTunes, AirPlay 2 (CNET)
- Apple makes iTunes available in the Microsoft Store (ZDNet)
- Apple and Samsung bring iTunes and AirPlay to smart TVs (TechRepublic)