Postmates, the popular on-demand delivery service, announced its largest expansion yet in a post on the Postmates blog. Now, 135 million people in over 100 cities across the U.S. can benefit from what the company bills as "anything, anywhere, anytime" delivery.
To mark its momentous new cities expansion milestone, Postmates will offer customers a new way to save on delivery: The company is waving delivery charges on all Chipotle orders placed in the app through Sunday, July 15. Just enter the code CHIPOTLE100 during checkout.
To try Postmates, you can sign up on the Postmates website or on its companion iPhone or Android app. Then order groceries, liquor, restaurant fare, grooming products, or gifts, and they'll be delivered directly to your doorstep in around 30 minutes. Unlike its competitors, Postmates is open 24/7, which means you can use it to satisfy your late-night ice cream craving, too, for example.
For the convenience of door-to-door delivery, Postmates charges a $3.99-$9.99 delivery fee, plus a variable percentage-based service fee. As with Uber and Lyft, Postmates' delivery pricing surges during peak periods, such as on weekends and during the lunch and dinner rushes.
Fortunately, there are ways to avoid Postmates sometimes steep delivery fees. If you pay with Apple Pay, for example, your first delivery is free. To skip the delivery charge altogether, you can always order for pickup in the app, or you can join Postmates' subscription service Postmates Unlimited for $9.99 per month (or $83.99 per year) and get free delivery for all orders over $20.
After launching in San Francisco, in 2011, Postmates rapidly expanded its operations from just 18 U.S. cities in December 2014 to over 100 metropolitan areas by October 2015. This new expansion brings it to 385 U.S. cities.
From the start, Postmates billed itself as the "anti-Amazon," differentiating itself from the competition by providing delivery from local restaurants, retail stores, and shops instead of just major chains. The company boasts today that with over 250,000 restaurant and retail partners, many of them mom-and-pop run, its commitment to supporting local businesses has never wavered.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter to keep up with the latest app news.
- Postmates will now deliver to over 100 new cities in the U.S. That means 135 million people -- or one in two households -- can benefit from the on-demand delivery service.
- To mark its momentous new cities expansion milestone, Postmates is offering customers free delivery from Chipotle through Sunday, July 15. Just enter the code CHIPOTLE100 in the app during checkout.
- Best 2018 grocery shopping apps for easy home delivery (Download.com)
- Postmates for Android Review (Download.com)
- Postmates for iPhone Review (Download.com)
- Postmates launches in more than 100 new US cities (CNET)
- Walmart brings DoorDash into its grocery delivery fold (ZDNet)
- Ford begins testing Domino's and Postmates deliveries with autonomous vehicles in Miami (TechRepublic)