It's still not too late to meet your match before Valentine's Day. And if you think you'll have to swipe past a lot of frogs to find your prince or princess, you won't -- with the Once (download for Android and iOS) app.
Designed for busy daters who are ready for something more serious, the "slow dating" app that emphasizes "quality over quantity" sends you only one thoughtfully chosen match each day at noon.
The idea behind this methodology is that with less people to choose from, you'll be less likely to just dismiss matches away because they have the wrong hair color, for example.
Creating a free account on the app is easy. Sign in with your Facebook (download for Android and iOS) account or phone number, which you must verify. Then add your name, age, gender, location and a photo. Once recommends that you include at least two high-quality photos.
The app defaults to straight, but you can change your sexual preference to gay or bi in the Details section later. The Details section is also where you'll flesh out your profile with educational, career, language and political info, as well as whether you have kids, drink or smoke. The more info you provide, the better the app's team of matchmakers' matching capabilities become.
You can also improve match quality by setting match preferences, such as age range, ethnicity and religious faith and by rating other members' profile photos from one to five stars.
When you're served a match, you may express interest by hearting them or disinterest by X-ing them away. If you and your match both like each other, then you can chat for free. But that's pretty much all you can do without paying.
If you are willing to purchase Once's virtual currency, or Once Crowns, which range in price from 5 for $9.99 to 100 for $79.99, you'll get the ability to select your own match for the following day without their knowledge; send a one-time missive to your daily match, one of your past matches or anyone you're really crushing on; or get fast-matched to another active user.
If you become a VIP member ($19.49 for one month; $43.99 for three months; $58.99 for six months), you'll get multiple matches per day, a premium, highly coveted match, unblurred chat requests and the ability to determine match proximity. You'll also see who's passed over or liked you and who gave you a five-star rating.
You can get a free three-day trial to see if VIP is right for you before subscribing.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter for all the latest app news.
- You can still meet your match before Valentine's Day with the Once dating app.
- Designed for busy daters who are ready for something more serious, the "slow dating" app that emphasizes "quality over quantity" sends you only one thoughtfully chosen match each day at noon.
- Best alternatives to Tinder to find love and romance
- 3 anti-Tinder apps that are changing online dating
- Dating Sunday is expected to bring the most daters to apps like Coffee Meets Bagel
- Tinder test lets you know when swiping spikes (CNET)
- Elastic, search company for Uber and Tinder, nearly doubles in IPO (ZDNet)
- The 3 riskiest apps found in the enterprise (TechRepublic)