How a shoe fits can greatly impact an athlete's performance. It needs to be breathable, have foot support, enough cushion, good tread and other important factors to get a player through a game at his or her best.
Achieving that perfect fit is an elusive goal, according to a press release from Nike, because the needs of a player's foot change throughout different sports.
The company is launching the Nike Adapt BB basketball shoe as a solution. The $350 shoe, which goes on sale February 17, creates a custom fit through what Nike calls a power-lacing system, a companion app and continually updated firmware on the platform Nike Adapt.
When a basketball player is wearing the Nike Adapt BB, they can use the app to input different fit settings to correspond with moments in the game. For example, the player can set the shoe to tighten before going into a play or loosen when they're on the bench. As new firmware updates release, the fit precision becomes more precise.
"[F]it is a personal thing," Michael Donaghu, Nike's vice president of innovation, said. "Our mission is to solve problems for athletes, and delivering to their exact needs has always been the best path forward."
With the Nike Adapt app, you can make all the adjustments to your shoes like fine-tuning your fit, customizing the lights, checking battery levels and more.
Set the shoes on the magnetic charging mat when the lights on the side of the sneaker indicate low battery. The batteries in each shoe last 10 to 14 days, depending on how much you use them. Don't panic if the battery dies while you're wearing them. The laces will simply loosen, so you won't be stuck.
The Nike Adapt BB underwent intense product testing to insure dependability for players, Nike said.
The company plans to expand the technology to other sports and lifestyle products to satisfy other unique, specialized demands and environments.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter for all the latest app news.
- Nike Adapt BB basketball shoe creates a custom fit with power-lacing, an app and continually updated firmware on the platform Nike Adapt.
- When a player is wearing the Nike Adapt BB, they can use the app to input different fit settings to correspond with moments in the game.
- AI workout app RocketBody among first to use Apple Watch ECG data
- 7 apps to help break bad habits in 2019
- Self-care in 2019: 10 apps to help you do better
- The best live TV streaming apps in 2019
- Apple Watch Nike+ Series 3 GPS+Cellular: Just $279 (CNET)
- CES 2019: Mobvoi announces TicWatch E2 and S2, fitness-focused Google Wear OS watches (ZDNet)
10 tech trends that will actually be adopted in 2019 (TechRepublic)