The New York Public Library released The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman as an Insta Novel on Wednesday. The story is NYPL's second installment in the popular Insta Novels series on Instagram (iOS, Android).
Gilman's short story was released in one part, instead of two like Alice in Wonderland. Readers eager to start the next Insta Novel can find The Yellow Wallpaper in NYPL's Stories bar.
The story was designed by Mother in New York artist, Buck. The yellow and black colors eerily snake across the screen, cut away, and seem to invert. The Insta Novel's illustrations are a modern take on the haunting, yellow wallpaper Gilman wrote about in 1892.
The Yellow Wallpaper is about an unnamed woman and her husband John, who has rented a mansion for the summer. Suffering from a "temporary nervous depression," her husband forbids her to work or leave the upstairs nursery. The woman, left alone with her own thoughts, starts to see strange things in the room's yellow wallpaper.
Since The Yellow Wallpaper is a short story, it felt easier to read in an Instagram Story format. If NYPL plans to continue releasing Insta Novels, shorter stories might be more digestible.
Alice in Wonderland was released as an Insta Novel in August and was read over 40,000 times, according to Angela Montefinise, NYPL's Senior Director of Public Relations. NYPL's Instagram account gained more than 93,000 followers after the Insta Novel launch.
NYPL plans to launch The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka next, but no date has been released yet. Montefinise said it hasn't been decided if the Insta Novels will continue after The Metamorphosis.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter for all the latest app news.
- The New York Public Library has released The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. The short story is the second installment of the library's Insta Novel series.
- The first Insta Novel, Alice in Wonderland, was read more than 40,000 times and earned NYPL an extra 93,000 Instagram followers. The third installment will be Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis.
- Best apps for book lovers on Android and iOS
- Inky is a new book recommendation app that will help you find great reads
- The best alternatives to the Google News mobile app in 2018
- Instagram reveals 4 updates that could fundamentally change how you use the app
- NYC Library is posting classic novels to Instagram for you to read (CNET)
- Instagram co-founders resign (ZDNet)
- How to adjust your settings to make your screen easier to read (TechRepublic)