If you stream Netflix on your iPhone or iPad, the app will no longer support Apple AirPlay. This means that you won't be able to cast shows on Netflix from your iOS device to your Apple TV.
Netflix's note says AirPlay is "no longer supported" due to "technical limitations."
"With AirPlay support rolling out to third-party devices, there isn't a way for us to distinguish between devices (what is an Apple TV vs. what isn't) or certify these experiences," a Netflix spokesperson said in an email. "Therefore, we have decided to discontinue Netflix AirPlay support to ensure our standard of quality for viewing is being met."
Netflix said Apple is a valued partner and the decision isn't related to competition between the two businesses.
You can still activate AirPlay through the Control Center on an iOS device. It just won't connect to Netflix.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter for all the latest app news.
- The 5 best Netflix alternatives for streaming TV and movies
- Netflix asks you to stop the hazardous Bird Box 'challenge'
- Netflix officially ends in-app subscriptions on iPhones and iPads to bypass Apple fees
- Consumers still trust real people over AI for app recommendations, according to a new study
- Get a first look at Deadpool director's new Netflix animated series (CNET)
- Netflix is watching you. We're all watching you (ZDNet)
- The best programming languages to learn in 2019: Top coding skills that pay you the most (TechRepublic)