With the recent release of iOS 12.1.1, Apple expanded support for its eSIM feature to carriers in the US. Now, Verizon is trying to make it easier for its customers to set up the dual-SIM service.
Available at the App Store, My Verizon version 6.10 offers a way for subscribers to add and configure access to eSIM. To do so, follow the steps in Verizon's How to Use Guide to Sign Up For Service and Activate Your eSIM. The process is lengthy, but setting up eSIM through the free app should be simpler than the previous method of scanning a QR code. New Verizon customers can accomplish this task completely through the app. But existing customers still need to call Verizon or visit a store to set up the eSIM service.
Introduced in iOS 12.1, eSIM is Apple's latest innovation for adding a second line to the same phone. Instead of requiring another physical SIM card, eSIM integrates a built-in digital SIM so iPhone users can more easily juggle two different phone numbers. Maintaining two numbers on the same phone can be helpful for people who travel to different countries or to those who want to keep separate lines for home and business. The main limitation is that eSIM is accessible only on the iPhone XR, iPhone XS, or iPhone XS Max.
After downloading the My Verizon app, sign in with your Verizon username and password. The app supports Touch ID and Face ID for quicker authentication. Though eSIM is available only to owners of the newest iPhones, any Verizon customer can use the free My Verizon app to manage their devices and subscriptions. You can view your data allowance for the month, find details on your existing plan, check your current and past bills, and change your account settings. You can also check out new products, upgrade your device, and add more services. The My Verizon app is available for Android devices as well.
Among US carriers, AT&T currently supports eSIM, though it requires a QR code for activation. T-Mobile's eSIM support is due to arrive before the end of the year. Sprint has said it will also support eSIM but hasn't revealed a due date.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter for all the latest app news.
- The latest update to the My Verizon lets iPhone owners add and active the new eSIM service.
- eSIM is available on the iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max.
- iOS 12.1.1 debuts with new FaceTime features, greater eSIM coverage, and bug fixes
- Verizon releases app to encrypt a public Wi-Fi connection -- but how private is it?
- iPhone XS Max's giant display is ruining Snapchat selfies, and users aren't happy
- AT&T launches eSim support for iPhone XS and XR, Verizon coming Dec. 7 (CNET)
- What you need to know about the iPhone's new dual-sim feature (ZDNet)
- iPhone XS: A cheat sheet for professionals (TechRepublic)