The music and podcast streaming service updated its user guidelines to say that as of March 1, any account using an ad blocker will be suspended or shut down.
Last March, Spotify found that two million users were using ad blockers on the free version of the app. The discovery happened before the company's planned public offering on the New York Stock Exchange, forcing it to restate its key metric usage.
Even before the final numbers were tallied, Spotify was fighting unauthorized third-party Android apps that let users block ads. The apps allowed users to essentially access Spotify's Premium features, like unlimited song skips, for free, when it typically costs $10 per month.
Spotify sent notifications to users whose accounts showed "abnormal activity" and warned them that if they continued to use the apps, their account would be suspended or terminated.
The streaming service wasn't ignoring its users' distaste for ads, however. Last August, Spotify quietly launched Active Media in Australia, giving users a choice in their ad experience.
"This is a win-win: users benefit from an improved experience that allows them to choose the ads they want to engage with," Spotify said at the time of release. "Spotify learns from each engagement, fueling a more personalized ad experience. Advertisers only pay for completed listens and views from an engaged audience."
Active Media would give Spotify users an ad experience similar to that on YouTube. On the video streaming site, when ads play, there's sometimes a Skip Ad option that appears after a few seconds.
It remains to be seen when Active Media will have a wider release.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter for all the latest app news.
- Spotify is cracking down on listeners using ad blockers on the free version of the app. The company said it will suspend or terminate accounts found to be using the software.
- Last August, Spotify quietly launched Active Media in Australia, which would give users the ability to pick and choose which ads they watch in their entirety.
- Here's what my Spotify Cosmic Playlist said about me
- You can finally mute artists on Spotify and here's how to do it
- Spotify launching new Car View mode for simple music control while driving
- Spotify cracks down on account sharing by demanding location data for family plans
- Listen to your Spotify playlists offline for $69 (CNET)
- Spotify integration comes to Samsung Music (ZDNet)
- Why Spotify's IPO could bring more innovation to music technology (TechRepublic)