With the success of Marie Kondo's Netflix show "Tidying Up," it's not a surprise that cleaning is cool now. Kondo's Konmari cleaning style is in line with the minimalist house trend that started after the "Minimalism" documentary streamed on Netflix, as well.
But an important thing to remember when you're watching these shows is that the changes aren't going to happen overnight in your own home.
To help ease you into Konmari or minimalism, check out the Get Rid of It app (download for Android).
The app works like Kondo's hit show, but approaches decluttering your home at a slower, more manageable pace.
With Get Rid of It, the objective is to purge your home of items that no longer add value to your life, or "spark joy." But, instead of one massive sweep, the app helps you slowly work up to achieving this goal over 30 days.
On the first day, Get Rid of It directs you to throw away or donate one item that no longer has value in your life. On the second day, you get rid of two items, and so on. As you clean, you can take pictures of what you're throwing out, and add a note about the item.
The idea is to focus on one area or room for each of the 30 days and, if it's a success, restart the next 30 days in another room. Eventually, you'll have completed your entire home, and will hopefully have a tidier living space.
Get Rid of It keeps track of your progress with photos and a count of how many items you've thrown out or donated. The app also offers daily tips to help with your decluttering journey. You can also connect to social media to stay motivated with others.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter for all the latest app news.
- The Get Rid of It app can help ease you into Konmari or minimalism by slowly building up to a massive purge of items.
- As you clean, you can keep track of your process by taking pictures of what you've thrown out and staying motivated with others on social media.
- The best apps for spring cleaning and organizing your life
- Best to-do list apps of 2019 for managing tasks on any platform
- Make adulting easier with these essential finance, food, clothing, and task apps
- 12 mobile apps to organize and simplify your life
- 8 apps to help plan your best Valentine's Day (CNET)
- Organize your go-bag for $10.94 (ZDNet)
- How to organize your to-do list with Google Tasks (TechRepublic)