Spotify (download for iOS or Android) took the next step in music personalization and released playlists inspired by Zodiac signs. The 12 playlists were curated by astrologer Chani Nicholas and carry a theme for the month. Nicholas also includes a reading for the sign.
Of course, many people believe in horoscopes to varying degrees. Whether you believe or not, Spotify is offering a fun way to discover new music that might be tailored to you in way you wouldn't expect.
There are a few ways to find your list, but you need to know your astrological sign and have Spotify downloaded on your device:
- Open the Spotify app
- Type your star sign into the Search bar and tap to play
- Alternatively, you can type "Pop Culture" and scroll through the playlists under Trend Watch
You can also find the playlists on Nicholas' website. She'll make playlists each month, according to her page. To get notified about the newest playlist, just tap Follow under yours.
"You can use them for inspiration, reflection, or for your own personal dance party," Nicholas said. "It's a collection of theme songs for your month, astrologically speaking."
Again, how "accurate" your playlist is, depends on how much stock you put into horoscopes. For example, I found the Aquarius playlist (my Zodiac sign) and Nicholas' description said that the music is meant to emphasize the "immense growth you have undergone."
Most of the songs had easy-going lyrics in the vein of indie folk or catchy, yet mellow beats. The playlist is perfect to listen to while I'm working during the day. I recognized some of the artists, like Frank Ocean or Bon Iver, but most of them were unknown to me.
The music streaming service's Cosmic Playlists are one of several new aspects users can look forward to in the app. Most recently, Spotify announced it was working on a "mute" feature that will allow users to block certain artists.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter for all the latest app news.
- Spotify released 12 playlists that correspond to each Zodiac sign curated by astrologer Chani Nicholas. The playlists update each month and carry a theme.
- You can find your playlist by searching your Zodiac sign or Pop Culture in the Spotify app.
- You can finally mute artists on Spotify and here's how to do it
- Spotify reportedly making a voice-activated gadget to stream music in your car
- Spotify launching new Car View mode for simple music control while driving
- Google Podcasts app finally comes to Android Auto
- Sphero Specdrums let me turn CES carpets into sweet music (CNET)
- Apple Watch Series 4 back on my wrist: Unnecessary, but indispensable (ZDNet)
- New end-to-end VR system can get you VR live-streaming in 15 minutes (TechRepublic)