Android's share sheet in Google Maps (download on iOS or Android) is getting a speed boost with the latest update, version 10.6.1. Historically, share sheets on the Android platform have lagged when loading. Since it takes a few extra seconds for the entire suite of options to load, sometimes users can tap the wrong icon.
Last month, Dave Burke, the vice president of engineering for Android assured users on Twitter that Google was working to resolve the issue.
"It's a priority, just a big job," Burke tweeted. "We're working on a redesign with a different underlying data model (push vs. pull) that will be much faster and nicer to use."
It can be frustrating to open the wrong program, send a message to the wrong person, or have the share sheet close it before you finally accomplish what you intended to do.
Now when users open the Maps app and attempt to share something, it loads more quickly and smoothly and users can type the name of their contact in a search box.
Under the search box, you can choose to tap a contact icon or select an app to use. The new share sheet's redesign also includes Google Material Design.
In addition, users cans share multiple locations and add them to the short list. Google Maps added the short list group-planning feature in September.
When you find a place you like, simply long press to add it to a shortlist. It'll appear as a floating bubble, similar to Facebook Messenger, in the corner of your screen. The restaurant with the most votes will be flagged.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter for all the latest app news.
- Google Maps is rolling out a new update that makes share sheets load faster on Android platforms.
- Now when users open the Maps app and attempt to share something, users can type the name of their contact in a search box. The update also lets users add locations to a short list quicker.
- Google Maps' new group feature lets friends vote on places to eat and things to do
- Google Maps for iOS finally gets the 'For You' personalized exploring section
- Google Maps now lets you add hashtags to spice up your reviews
- Google Maps now lets you send and see messages to businesses
- Google Maps will now show you where the nearest Lime scooter is (CNET)
- Seven GDPR complaints filed against Google over user location tracking (ZDNet)
- Google Maps for iOS update could make it easier to get to work on time (TechRepublic)