Google gave its Search app a massive makeover last month with new features like Discover, Activity Cards, better organization, and visual searches.
On Thursday, the company expanded on its promise of more visual searches by adding the image-recognizing technology behind Google Lens into the mobile web version of Google Images.
"Starting today, when you see something in an image that you want to know more about, like a landmark in a travel photo or wallpaper in a stylish room, you can use Lens to explore within the image," Google explained in a blog post.
Now when you search for something, the Google Lens icon will appear under the image. Lens will identify the objects in the photo. When you press the icon, Lens will highlight objects with a blue dot. When you tap on the item, you'll get a list of related images and products.
For example, if you're looking for ideas for decorating your living room and search for images, Google will break down the specific pieces in a photo. Lens can tell you where to find similar couches, chairs, rugs, etc.
If Lens doesn't identify what you want, you can draw a circle around the image to generate a more specific search.
Currently, the new Lens feature will be geared towards shopping. Eventually, the company wants to expand to identify different images like landmarks, pet breeds, and more.
Google Lens first arrived at Google I/O 2017 and has historically lived as a feature in the Google Pixel smartphone camera app. The app is now available in multiple Pixel and Nexus phones. Google incorporated Lens into its flagship search engine when it revamped search for its 20th anniversary this year.
"We launched Lens to help you do more with what you see. People already love using it in their camera and on their photos-to find items in an outfit they like, learn more about landmarks, and identify that cute dog in the park. Lens is a natural fit for Google Images," Google said.
Lens in Google Images is live on the mobile web for users in the US in English starting Thursday. The company plans to roll out on an international scale soon.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter for all the latest app news.
- Google Lens is coming to Google Images on the mobile web for identifying information directly from photos in search.
- Lens activates when you search an image, identifies products in the image, and tells you where you can buy them.
- Google Translate can now use Google Lens text conversion for 13 more languages
- Google Lens is now available on the Pixel and Nexus Camera app
- Google's AR Measure app for Android turns your phone into a 3D ruler
- 5 Google Assistant tasks that will make your work life easier
- 7 cool things you can do with Google Lens (CNET)
- Google Lens arrives on every Android phone with Google Photos (ZDNet)
- Google Lens: The potential of a smarter camera (TechRepublic)