Despite Fortnite's Battle Royale mode being free-to-play, there's still money to be made from selling a load of in-game items, and one of the ways to entice people to play is with seasonal content. While the wildly popular game has "seasons" of its own every ten weeks, it also tries to align itself with the seasons of the calendar and theme itself appropriately.
The game's 6th season has been devoted to the supernatural, and Halloween is coming in just a week on October 31. To celebrate the occasion, the game's maker Epic Games is adding the zombies and ghouls from its Save the World mode, where you fight on a team of other people against computer-controlled beasties, instead of fighting up to 99 other players in Battle Royale, where no creatures are present.
While Battle Royale is free-to-play, Save the World requires purchasing the game, whose standard edition is currently $20, a discount of 50 percent. But with this new addition to Battle Royale, you can get a free taste of the monsters that ordinarily only appear in Save the World.
Fortnite is rated T for Teen, so this isn't the blood-and-chunks style of zombie fighting that you may have seen in games rated M for Mature. So it should be fine for younger audiences, but not necessarily for kids aged 12 and under.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter for all the latest app news.
If you take down one of these terrors, they will drop loot just like another player would. To get your shot, keep your eyes peeled for glowing purple cubes scattered around the map, because these are where the nasties emerge from. (The cubes were added for Season 6.)
However, The Verge reports that there are wait times of up to 15 minutes to get into a "Fortnitemares" match, and Epic Games had to temporarily disable the mode to investigate matchmaking issues. Matchmaking is the step in the process where the game assembles a list of players to put into a match.
If you can't get into Fortnitemares, the regular version of Battle Royale is still available to play at any time. This current season is expected to go until December, so you should have plenty of time to let Epic sort out technical glitches.
- Fortnite has added a "Fortnitemare" mode for Season 6, which puts the zombies from its Save the World mode into Battle Royale.
- The zombies drop loot, and you should find them near the glowing purple cubes that were added to Battle Royale this season.
- There are reports of problems getting into a Fortnitemare match, but this season doesn't end until December, so there's plenty of time to sort out bugs.
- 5 horror apps for Halloween
- Fortnite on Android no longer requires an invite to play
- Best Fortnite Mobile companion apps to play -- and stream -- your way to victory
- Malware scam targets Fortnite cheaters and their bitcoin wallets (CNET)
- Google's Project Stream: Chrome becomes testbed for game streaming services (ZDNet)
- AI bot cheats at video game by exploiting ancient bug (TechRepublic)