Users can expect to see an option to create looping-videos with Boomerang, depth-editing in selfie mode and augmented reality stickers that you can drop into photos.
The new update gives Messenger a total of five camera modes: normal, video, text, Boomerang and selfie.
In case you didn't ditch your older smartphone for one of the new iPhones or Pixels, Messenger's new selfie mode will let you get in on the portrait mode action. The new feature will let you focus your selfie, add a bit of glow and edit the background blur.
In addition, camera's text more will update with new fonts and colors to choose from. Users will also be able to make conversations more fun with AR stickers. The stickers can be dropped into photos or videos.
Messenger will also feature some new holiday filters and masks.
Some users might consider the new features as contradictory to the app's recent simple redesign. After complaints that the app had become way too cluttered, Facebook began rolling out the new minimalist Messenger this fall.
It is possible that users won't mind the additions if Messenger keeps them in the scrolling bar in the bottom viewfinder as screenshots suggest.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter for all the latest app news.
- Messenger's new update will include looping videos with Boomerang, depth-editing in selfie mode and augmented reality stickers that you can drop into photos.
- Some users might consider the new features as a step back from the app's recent simple redesign.
- Will the redesigned Facebook Messenger recapture its glory?
- Facebook Messenger is adding an 'unsend' feature that gives you 10 minutes to delete a sent message
- Facebook Messenger is testing voice commands for chats and calls
- How to protect your Facebook privacy by removing unwanted apps
- Internal Facebook documents highlight how valuable user data is (CNET)
- The biggest culprit in the Facebook debacle (ZDNet)
- Facebook data privacy scandal: A cheat sheet (TechRepublic)