The holiday season is a time for giving and receiving. And now you can help give to a worthy cause just by receiving some free software.
Software developer SoftMaker has announced that it will donate a certain amount of money to charities for each download of its free FreeOffice 2018 suite or FlexiPDF Basic app from now until Christmas. Through the company's Load and Help fundraiser initiative, the contribution of 10 Euros (around $11 US) for each download will go to selected charities worldwide as presented by non-profit charity platform betterplace.org, SoftMaker said.
Available for Windows, MacOS, and Linus, FreeOffice 2018 is a Microsoft Office alternative with its own counterparts to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. The applications are compatible with the latest Microsoft Office file formats so you can work with your standard Office documents, spreadsheets, and presentations.
Designed for Windows, FlexiPDF Basic lets you view and perform a few modifications on PDF files. You can swap pages between one PDF and another, change the order of pages, and delete specific pages. With FlexiPDF Basic, you can also create PDF files from a Windows application and mark them up with stamps, comments, and highlights.
To grab either program from its product page, register your email address. Download the software. You'll be emailed a product key to activate the software. You can then use FreeOffice 2018 suite, FlexiPDF Basic, or both on a permanent basis.
SoftMaker has already given to charity through past campaigns of its Load and Help initiative. Over the past few years, the company raised 40,000 Euros ($45,000 US) through donations, helping to finance solar lamps in Africa and build a bridge in Sri Lanka, among other projects.
"Load and Help thrives on participation," SoftMaker CEO Martin Kotulla said in a statement. "We hope that as many users as possible get to download FreeOffice or FlexiPDF Basic for free. Please share this campaign with friends via blogs, Twitter, and other social media posts. The more people download, the bigger the amount of donations we can give to important charity projects!"
As the campaign progresses, you can check the number of downloads, the donation levels, and the charity projects at the Load and Help website.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter for all the latest app news.
- Software developer SoftMaker will donate $11 to charity for each download of its free FreeOffice 2018 suite or FlexiPDF Basic application.
- FreeOffice 2018 is a Microsoft Office alternative and is compatible with the latest Office file formats. FlexiPDF Basic lets you view and modify PDF files.
- Microsoft Office vs Google Docs Suite vs LibreOffice in 2018
- Microsoft Office 2019 arrives for those who don't want to buy Office 365
- The best alternatives to Adobe Acrobat for making and editing PDFs in Windows in 2019
- Download this free Microsoft Office alternative, help charity (CNET)
- Microsoft's Office 2019 price hike: Will it push you to Office 365? (ZDNet)
- Top 5: Office suites for business users (TechRepublic)