Cowlines goes beyond the factors considered by other commute apps to calculate the fastest, greenest, and fiscally efficient trip.
"The name Cowlines comes from the term 'cowlines' or 'cowpaths' used by city planners to design the optimal paths in places such as parks, etc, mimicking the behavior of cows when they roam across an open field," Greenlines Technology CEO David Oliver said in a press release.
In a press release, Greenlines Technology, the developers behind the app, boast better options for car-free travel over Google Maps and a 40 percent faster trip.
"By providing three route options: fastest, cheapest, best, it gives commuters more choice and allows people to track verifiable CO2 emissions so they can choose the most environmentally friendly transportation options," Oliver said in a press release.
Cowlines integrates multiple modes of public transportation like buses, subways, ferries, and carsharing. You can turn off certain modes in the app if they don't apply to your area or for more personalization.
In the app, you can search for your destination. Cowlines will offer three possible routes: the fastest, the cheapest, and the most eco-friendly. The app will compare time, cost, and emissions for each one.
When you choose the eco-friendly option, you can track and report your carbon footprint.
"We are committed to fighting climate change. We enable individuals to access sustainable transport options in cities by shifting modes from private vehicles to public transit and shared mobility," the company said on the website.
After you select a route, tap Go and Cowlines will start your step-by-step directions.
"Transport should be about giving you all the options to get where you want to go, seamlessly," the app's website said.
So far, Cowlines is supported in more than 60 cities in the US and Canada.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter for all the latest app news.
- With a goal of reducing carbon emissions and expedite lengthy commutes, the Cowlines app combines all your public and private transportation options in a single trip.
- Cowlines lets you pick between the fastest, cheapest, and most eco-friendly routes.
- Waze turn-by-turn navigation service brings separate 'Carpool' app to all US customers
- Why your favorite navigation app might be causing traffic problems according to new research
- Google Maps app is getting more Waze traffic report features that people love
- New 'Call Me Out' app by Chevrolet hopes to reduce distracted driving
- Google Maps adds detailed commute information (CNET)
- Mi Electric Scooter review: Complete that last mile commute with ease (ZDNet)
- Why Uber and Lyft are actually making your morning commute worse (TechRepublic)