The historically based stealth-action Assassin's Creed franchise has been a busy little bee since its inception in 2007, churning out a new game seemingly every year and spreading beyond consoles and PCs. On the heels of the freshly baked Odyssey comes Assassin's Creed Rebellion for iOS and Android, and the latter version is now available for pre-registration.
They say "pre-registration" instead of "pre-order" because Assassin's Creed Rebellion will be free-to-play with in-app purchases. Pre-registering sometimes grants you one or two free virtual items, but that doesn't appear to be the case here. However, declaring your interest to the Google Play Store will produce a notification on your phone when the game eventually gets released, and you also get an email as a backup reminder.
Assassin's Creed Rebellion is set in 15th century Spain, but you'll be able to play with Ezio Auditore, Shao Jun, and Aguilar de Nerha (the character played by Michael Fassbender in the feature film).
It will be Aguilar's first appearance in an Assassin's Creed game, and he'll presumably be representing the Spanish arm of the Brotherhood of Assassins. Shao Jun is a female character from the Chinese Brotherhood, and this will be her third in-game appearance. Overall, more than 40 characters will be joining forces with you in Rebellion, including some brand-new ones.
Ezio, of course, is the most well-known character in the franchise, with his own series of games available in one collection.
Note that this is not a conventional Assassin's Creed game that's just been ported to a mobile device. Instead, Rebellion is a "strategy-RPG," so don't expect to be wandering vast cities or diving from great heights. Based on the description, this will be more compact affair, with just the occasional stabbing.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter for all the latest app news.
Either way, the setting also won't be limited to Spain, as Ubisoft says there will be "new settings and different eras from the past in the time-limited events." If you take part in those, you can earn extra loot which may include "new rare Assassins."
If you can't get your hands on Assassin's Creed Odyssey, or you're waiting for sale, Rebellion may tide you over until then.
- Assassin's Creed Rebellion is a free-to-play strategy RPG mobile game coming to Android and iOS on November 21.
- You can "pre-register" on the Google Play Store, which will set up up a notification system to remind you when the game is released next month.
- Harvest Moon-inspired Stardew Valley farming game is coming to iOS and Android
- Microsoft's Project xCloud will stream console games to play on your phone
- iPhones get Civilization VI turn-based strategy game, at a big discount
- Google Project Stream: Beta sign-ups, how to play and more (CNET)
- Market rift: Military use of AR/VR skyrockets (ZDNet)
- Five skills you need when applying and interviewing for a video game tester job (TechRepublic)