MacOS 10.14 "Mojave" is now available in the Mac App Store for download. The update is free and includes a number of new features teased over the last few months. Apple says that Mojave is compatible with all Mac "introduced mid-2012 or later, plus 2010 and 2012 Mac Pro models with recommended Metal-capable graphics cards."
After its grand reveal at WWDC 2018. One of the most highly anticipated aspects of the upgrade was iOS apps coming to the Mac Store. The first four are Apple News, Stocks, Voice Memos, and Home. Third party developers will be able to port their iOS apps to Mac in 2019.
In Mojave, you can also operate in Dark Mode. Your content stays front and center, while other controls recede, keeping you as focused as possible. Dark Mode is also better on your eyes for long periods of working. Dark Mode is available in Mail, Messages, Maps, Calendar, and Photos.
The new "Stacks" feature will keep your desktop decluttered and organized by date, kind, or tag. Files can also un-stack by expanding.
SEE: Apple MacOS Mojave: Cheat sheet (TechRepublic)
The Dynamic Desktop feature keeps your background image changing to match the time of day. The images, you guessed it, are landscape shots from the Mojave Desert.
The new Screenshot utility makes it easier to capture stills and videos. Instead of shift-command-4, you press shift-command-5 to get a slew of tools and controls. The feature includes a timer, and where to save the screenshot.
In Finder, you can preview files in a Gallery View and see a file's full metadata. Finder's Quick Actions lets you rotate images, create PDFs, and more. In Quick Look, you can interact with the PDF, edit images, audio, and video.
Mojave's other updates span across the camera, the redesigned Mac Store, iTunes, and Safari.
FOLLOW Download.com on Twitter for all the latest app news.
- MacOS 10.14 Mojave is available for download in the Mac Store starting today.
- Mojave includes new features like Dark Mode, Stacks, Dynamic Desktop, and four popular iOS apps.
- Best iOS apps we want to see ported to MacOS Mojave
- iOS apps are coming to Mac: Everything you need to know
- How Apple is going to block digital fingerprinting
- How to get iOS apps on your Mac
- Apple Watch Series 4 introduces ECG app and other health upgrades
- How to prepare your Mac for MacOS Mojave (CNET)
- MacOS Mojave: 5 features business pros need to know (TechRepublic)
- Apple improves security protections in macOS Mojave (ZDNet)