WhatsApp Messenger is a cross-platform mobile messaging app that lets you to send and receive messages without having to pay for SMS. This app makes chatting and video, image, and voice notes sharing on the go quick, effortless, and fun.
Awesome functionality: WhatsApp Messenger for Android enables you to share text messages with anyone on the globe so long as they use the app, without the need for usernames, passwords, or log-ins -- your phone number acts as your ID.
Inviting interface: Pretty, smooth, and accessible, the app's interface and the features its puts at your disposal, such as emoticons and straightforward multimedia sharing buttons make this app a joy to use.
Easy contact importing: Once you set up the app, it automatically scans your address book for other users who have the app on their device. No need to add contacts, manually.
Potential privacy issues: While the app makes it easy for you to connect with others, we feel that it doesn't give you enough control over who gets to see your messages. Moreover, in our tests, the Nobody option for the Last Seen feature, which should prevent others from seeing our activity, did not work.
WhatsApp Messenger for Android stands out as a remarkable messaging app, probably the best around. You can use it as a replacement for the SMS function of your smartphone, chatting with your friends and family without any limit. As to cost, this app is free in the first year and then charges you only $1 a year, a fantastic subscription price considering that the app is ad-free.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of WhatsApp Messenger for Android 2.9.1547
WhatsApp Messenger is a FREE messaging app available for Android and other smartphones. WhatsApp uses your phone's Internet connection (4G/3G/2G/EDGE or Wi-Fi, as available) to let you message and call friends and family. Switch from SMS to WhatsApp to send and receive messages, calls, photos, videos, documents, and Voice Messages.
WHY USE WHATSAPP:
- NO FEES: WhatsApp uses your phone's Internet connection (4G/3G/2G/EDGE or Wi-Fi, as available) to let you message and call friends and family, so you don't have to pay for every message or call.* There are no subscription fees to use WhatsApp.
- MULTIMEDIA: Send and receive photos, videos, documents, and Voice Messages.
- FREE CALLS: Call your friends and family for free with WhatsApp Calling, even if they're in another country.* WhatsApp calls use your phone's Internet connection rather than your cellular plan's voice minutes. (Note: Data charges may apply. Contact your provider for details. Also, you can't access 911 and other emergency service numbers through WhatsApp).
- GROUP CHAT: Enjoy group chats with your contacts so you can easily stay in touch with your friends or family.
- WHATSAPP WEB: You can also send and receive WhatsApp messages right from your computer's browser.
- NO INTERNATIONAL CHARGES: There's no extra charge to send WhatsApp messages internationally. Chat with your friends around the world and avoid international SMS charges.*
- SAY NO TO USERNAMES AND PINS: Why bother having to remember yet another username or PIN? WhatsApp works with your phone number, just like SMS, and integrates seamlessly with your phone's existing address book.
- ALWAYS LOGGED IN: With WhatsApp, you're always logged in so you don't miss messages. No more confusion about whether you're logged in or logged out.
- QUICKLY CONNECT WITH YOUR CONTACTS: Your address book is used to quickly and easily connect you with your contacts who have WhatsApp so there's no need to add hard-to-remember usernames.
- OFFLINE MESSAGES: Even if you miss your notifications or turn off your phone, WhatsApp will save your recent messages until the next time you use the app.
- AND MUCH MORE: Share your location, exchange contacts, set custom wallpapers and notification sounds, email chat history, broadcast messages to multiple contacts at once, and more!
*Data charges may apply. Contact your provider for details.